We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update trip report

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Update trip report

Hi

Travelling me, DH, DD 19 and DS 17. Have visited maybe 40 times so all parks etc visited before.

We have arrived in Orlando after our relaxing days at the beach.

We haven't really done much at all but will update.

Made the drive from St Pete to Disney in about 90 minutes. No hold ups at all and easy drive. Stopped off at Walmart to get some water, snacks and washing powder. Dragged daughter away from the cosmetics aisle and stopped to peruse the aisles and aisles of medication for complaints I didn't even know existed.

Drove to the Grand Floridian and checked in no problems. Very smooth. We noticed a big difference in the weather between Orlando and the coast. Saw no rain on the coast, not much cloud either. The temperature though and the humidity seem much higher in Orlando.

Anyway given a room overlooking the lake and monorail. Not a brilliant view but can't complain as its what was booked. We had forgotten to bring our voucher book with us and after a call to Disney from Gatwick it was waiting for us at check in. Great service.

Whilst at the coast I also went on the Abercrombie website and ordered lots of clothes for my son in the sale to be delivered here at the GF. Enquired at check in and guest services checked on the package sing the FedEx number. It is due for delivery tomorrow and I have to collect it from the convention centre which is right next to our room.

The courtyard pool has been refurbished since our last visit at Christmas. It doesn't look a lot different apart from a fence all the way round, a zero entry point and it has been filled in so that the maximum depth is 4 feet. The spa has also reopened but as yet I haven't visited.

The rooms are just the same as always here and to be honest are definitely in need of refurbishing. Nothing wrong with them, just a bit out of date.

Got our resort mugs, unpacked and then took the monorail via the TTC to EPCOT. The room cards now have the RFID so a swipe in front on the.Mickey ball, finger scan and we were in. We took a gentle saunter via the coca cola club cool station round the lake. Whatever you do, take care before trying the Italian coke drink. It should have a health warning! We had a dinner reservation at Chefs de France so on round the lake to the drink cart outside the restaurant. No visit is complete without a grey goose citron slushie. Had a mooch around the perfumerie and then time for dinner.

We all had steak, slightly overlooked but nice and then the others had creme brûlée and I had fruit and sorbets. Very nice. It was getting dark by now and people were gathering for the fireworks. We decided to walk back round the lake and see what the wait time was on test track.

I do like the fireworks at EPCOT but I think they are due an update. The wait time showed 300 mins for test track. When we asked a cast member he told us the display was wrong. It was in fact 80 minutes. Decided to give it a miss. I went for a look round mousegear whilst the others went on Mission Space.

Took the monorail back to the hotel, filled up resort mug with hot chocolate and to bed.

Next morning we were up at 645 and at the bus stop for 730 for DHS EMH. We were in the park at 750 and the queues were already massive. It was really hot too. Gates were opened 5 mins early and of course everyone ran for toy story mania. My son got fast passes for us all with return of 935. We then queued for the ride and waited about 15 mins. By the time we came out the wait time was 55 mins. Off to tower of terror, wait time 20 mins and then had a look at rock n roller coaster but wait time was already 2 hours. Gave it a miss and went for cinnamon bun at starring rolls bakery. By now it was time for fast pass return on toy story so rode that and then left the park. It was getting very hot and very busy.

My advice is use extra magic hours if you are a Disney guest and avoid parks with EMH if you are not.

We then took the bus to Downtown Disney to pick up our gift card voucher. Got it and spent it on gifts for nieces and nephews! Well actually I have 79c left on it! Tried to get a towel and bag embroidered with their names, but the facility that was in the christmas shop is now closed at DTD so will have to keep receipt and take to Hollywood Studios. Lunch at Wofgang Puck Express. This restaurant is such great value for counter service. I had turkey Cobb salad followed by creme brûlée. The others had meatloaf, mash and veg followed by creme brûlée. I don't really think of it as being counter service, more of a halfway to table service really.

Back to the hotel for a couple of hours snooze round the pool then shower and get ready for our favourite restaurant Narccoossees. Now if we had to pay for this out of pocket, we just wouldn't. It is expensive but the food and service are all great. It is lovely to watch the magic kingdom fireworks across the lake with the music piped in at ten o clock. Brings a tear to the eye.

We all had filet mignon with lobster. I had chocolate mousse, DD had chocolate torte and DS and DH opted for the cheese board. A lovely meal with a lovely server.

That is it to date. As you can tell I am not one for rides but DD and DS do make use of the transport and tickets and we tend to meet them in a park for either the morning or the evening.

Today they are off to animal kingdom and we will meet them later for EMH at the magic kingdom.

So sorry not much achieved yet but will update further as we go along.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update trip report

Great TR

We had towels monogrammed at HS for presents last year everyone loved them

Sounds like you are having a lovely holiday

Looking forward to next instalment

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update trip report

Great TR, sounds like you are having a great time. I also bought my mum and step dad the embroidered towels from HS last year, they are really pretty, and make a really nice gift

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update trip report

Hiya Sraj~~~~~~~~~thanks for posting. What a nice TR. You are so funny,abut the medications and the Italian soda in Epcot. It is a shocker,if you don't know that it's supposed to taste like Campari.tee hee hee!

I love to stand there,and watch people sample it. One time,

I overheard a little boy ask his Mum why they had "cough syrup" in the display. I remember that he was wearing his ears,and he was REALLY mad! LOL

Aren't you brave for doing all that Epcot walking in the heat. I guess you guys are taking your time,and doing it the right way. Good for you.

Your dinners sound sooooo fab. I agree that Woflgang's is a great counter service. It's my fav!!

PS..Grand Floridian..wow,nice choice. I like your style!! :+))

Edited: 28 July 2013, 17:19
London
Level Contributor
968 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update trip report

Lovely trip report - sounds perfect!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update trip report

Sounds like everyone is having a great time :-) Can't wait to read more.

6. Re: Update trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:17