We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

This year we went to Orlando and then Ormond beach and loved it. next year we are thinking of Orlando again and then either Cocoa Beach or Treasure Island. We were thinking of Cocoa to go to Kennedy Space center. But, I've heard that Cocoa could be a bit 'seedy' especially for young children (mine are under 12). And, would it be nice enough for 7 days of a beach vacation? treasury island looks nice too, just a little farther and I was thinking of going to Busch Gardens from there (but it seems like a long drive to busch gardens, almost 1 hour). Any suggestions for nice family beaches that are kid friendly with nice resorts that are within 2 hours of Orlando?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Here are the recommendations of the Orlando Sentinel.

orlandosentinel.com/travel/…4514450.story

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Instead of Treasure Island go to Clearwater Beach - a very family style beach. Read that forum to see if it suits you.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Cocoa Beach "seedy" for young children, sorry, but that makes me laugh. Cocoa Beach is a very safe area. The beaches do get very busy near the Ron Jon area, especially during the spring. Will you find enough to do keeping kids busy away from the water for 7 days? Probably, not.

I assume you are talking about Treasure Island near St Pete Beach. That is a nice area as is all the other beach communities in that area. There is also a zoo and aquarium in Tampa. It would take about 2 hours to drive over there from Orlando. It would take about 1 hour to drive to Cocoa Beach.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 13:26
Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
277 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Although much further away (which would mean a longer journey back to the a/port) we went to Marco Island a few years ago after a week in Orlando. there are some lovely beaches and it is a very nice, upmarket area. We were there in July and it was fairly quiet, very laid back. Naples isn't far away which is also a lovely area. It depends if for your beach week you still need to be close to the airport, it was more travelling for us but worth it and while we were in Marco we drove over to Miami which was good to see.

New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

Thanks for your opinion. I'm just talking from my nephew's experience as he goes surfing there. Besides the Ron Jon resort, any other suggestions? Discover Beach, Cocoa Beach resort?

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

We always do Orlando followed by St Pete Beach, it's really laid back but still plenty to keep you occupied, plenty of boat trips to go on, shell key, Egmont key etc., great for shelling, we collected loads last year. Shopping/visiting Johns Pass which is up just past Treasure Island. Often see Dolphins swimming in the sea, even from the beach. We do our Busch Gardens trip when here usually takes about an hour but well worth it. Have also stayed at Clearwater, like it there also but more commercial than St Pete Beach. The pier entertainment every evening at Clearwater was great.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

If you want something next to the pier. look at LaQuinta. There are a number of condo rentals in that area too www.vrbo.com. If you want something quieter, look further south near Indialantic. I saw a couple of baby sea turtles run toward the water after hatching last weekend down that way.

New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

any suggestions for nice family hotels in St. Pete?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

I agree that Cocoa Beach is not "seedy". Perhaps you might like Lori Wilson Park beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/lori-wilson-park…

10. Re: Orlando first then beach vacation, which beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:16