We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Hi, my family and I will be visiting Orlando in 2015, we are thinking in late august or September. I just wanted to get as many tips as possible....For 5 of us, (2 adults, 2 teens, one 8 yr old) which Disney resort has the best rooms/villa/suite for no more than say $350 - $500 a night that is in good proximity to the parks and downtown disney ect. I'm a little confused on the distances between things as well. Is the monorail a long round trip?

GAN
RI, USA
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Disney World is a big and potentially overwhelming place -first thing I'd suggest is get a good guide book(Unofficial Guide to WDW), it will be a huge help. With your kind of budget a good bet would be a monorail resort like the Polynesian or Contemporary(I believe Poly will give you slightly more living space for 5). The monorail loop is maybe 20/30 mins including stops -it circles Bay Lake which isn't huge. As far as getting to other parts of the resort, like Downtown Disney(soon to be Disney Springs) -Disney bus transport is pretty reliable and efficient.

Another room option would be to explore renting Disney Vacation Points -you could probably get a 1 or 2 bedroom suite in your budget at Bay Lake Tower, which is part of the Contemporary and walking distance to the Magic Kingdom. Feel free to PM/email me to explain further.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

You could either get 2 rooms at one of the value or moderate resorts , or alternatively a suite at either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West

All the resorts have transport to the parks either bus/boat or Monorail dependant on which resort you choose & as the area is 47 square miles no one resort is close to them all

The Monorail only runs between the ticket & transportation centre & Epcot & Magic Kingdom . or the Monorail reosrts The Polynesian/Contemporary & Grand Floridian and Epcot & MK

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,857 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

"Hi, my family and I will be visiting Orlando in 2015, we are thinking in late august or September."

If you have the flexibility, I'd really advise against coming at this time and try October. The reason is that period has the worst weather of the year (heat, humidity, rain) plus it is peak hurricane season.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

<Hi, my family and I will be visiting Orlando in 2015, we are thinking in late august or September>

Have to agree with Orlando_Vic regarding weather. We went at that time a number of years ago and it was indeed very, very hot and humid - it made standing in queues very uncomfortable and tiring. And we experienced 2 hurricanes in the 10 days we were there. I'm guessing you're planning the trip for the Aussie Aug/Sept school holidays - unless the teens will be doing year 11 or 12, I'd just take them out of school for say last 2 weeks October/first week Nov. As an ex-secondary school teacher I have to say, no one fails life because they missed a few weeks of school:0) - in fact they'll probably learn more on the holiday than they would have at school (don't tell the school I said that, LOL). Plus, airfares should be cheaper.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

First, wait to book until may/june when they offer the free dining plan. It usually starts very late august/early sept.

Second, the poly is ideal for needs. It's next to the TTC, so transportation for 2 of the 4 parks are easy, and lots of buses to TTC too. It's in your price range, and with free dining, makes it better.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,347 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

The central and south Florida climate is comparable to Queensland (one reason why a number of Queensland plants thrive), with soggy summer and a cyclone threat, but a distinct dry season from mid October through late May. Florida gets occasional freezes from cold air rushing in from northern Canada. They're enough to ensure that Orlando's native vegetation is tropical. Fires from June lightning and set by people in the cool season created open, grassy vegetation and vast carpets of saw palmetto, one of our most abundant and striking native plants.

Orlando's inland location protects it from hurricanes, but it did suffer hurricane winds in August 2004 and near-hurricane winds twice that September; an extraordinary series of events that is unlikely ever to be repeated.

Disney has an efficient private bus system, and one city bus route (LYNX) serves Disney's transportation hub. The monorail, serving the Epcot, the Magic Kingdom and the group of resorts near it on Bay Lake, is only a part of the Disney system.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 03:33
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Thankyou everybody for your feed back! I don't know how I ever lived without trip advisor! From what everyone is saying I think we will make it early October that we visit Orlando. Hopefully Yellowstone National pk can still be visited ok at this time around the end of September as this is another place we are wanting to see.

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Early October is a great time to visit ( and end of September would be nice out at Yellowstone too )

Have a look at some of the Disney Resorts and dream a bit. There will be Deals, have a lot of time to wait for those however ( the current deals for this year include a Free Dining Offer OR up to 30% off Room Discounts )

Suggested Resorts that sleep 5

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3116350

Deluxe - The Polynesian

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839

Happy planning

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,347 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

Late September and early October is a great time for Yellowstone. The elk (wapiti, if you like) will be in breeding season. The crowds will be gone. Do dress for cool weather (I'm a one-time resident of that region).

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie first time visit to Disney World Orlando 2015

So...should I be worried about those sink holes? I just recently saw on the news a resort sunk that was near Disney World. Is all that area on unstable grounds, and does it happen often?