We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Devon UK
Level Contributor
831 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Flight changed and separate flight🙀

We have got our flights all booked and paid for with United.Just waiting for United to ticket us as there is a delay between when we had to pay balance for flights through TA and when United bill the TA.( bit confusing)

Anyway just logged online to United as wanted to upgrade return seats and noticed that our flight had been changed.Instead of going via Washington and then having just over 2 hour domestic flight,we now go via Chicago which means a 4 hour flight,so no luxury of tv to keep kids entertained.

But on the return flight they have put my DD(19) on a separate flight!

Hence I frantically emailed TR last night and hoping they can sort it today while I'm at work.

Eek!!!

grimsby
Level Contributor
618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Cant see how they can possibly do that if you book together you fly together dont you ???

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

No way - it's bad enough changing the routing but surely they cannot change one of your family onto a completely different flight than the rest of you! Let us know how you get on and good luck with getting this sorted out.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Thats a no no..........Compensation looming!!!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

I take it TR is Travel Republic? These are the situations where you find out whether your travel agent is a goodun' or not. If you would have booked directly with UA you could have sorted it directly with them, now TR will have to come to the party as any amendments will have to be done via them. This may or may not be a good thing depending how competent they are.

Firstly I agree DD should be moved back on to your return flight as she was (presumably) originally booked together with the rest of you on one booking. Your TA should be able to get this sorted with UA.

The airline will probably offer you a cancellation or refund if you don't accept the changes or possibly offer a change of date should the flights you want go a day earlier/later but that is all that they are obliged to do. No compensation would be due for a flight schedule change despite no TV to entertain kids.

Devon UK
Level Contributor
831 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Update on the flight change,

TA has now contacted United airlines and they have changed one of the flights(apparently they are well within their rights to do so),its not a massive difference with leaving time,its just that as we are now going via Chicago it will be a 4 hour internal flight,bit of a pain,but we can live with that.

The issue with my daughter being put on a seperate flight was because we booked her flight after ours as she decided she would come with us,so although we were all down as one party and one reference number,it hadnt been looked as as one group.Anyways upshot is its all been sorted now........thankfully,panic over phew

Liverpool
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Can I ask why you book with United, could you not use Thomson TC , Monarch or Virgin and take a direct flight...just being nosey really as to why some people use certain airlines even though it takes so much longer . I know baggage allowance is often better but what are the other advantages ?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

We've done the same journey via Chicago and it was fine. Chicago airport is quite nice as airports go.

London
Level Contributor
328 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

What would also concern me is why it's going to take 4 hours to fly from Chicago to Orlando. The last time I done it-it only took 2 hours

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Debgreg, flying indirect with a US carrier such as United, is much cheaper than flying direct. I'm flying with United on Friday, and my flights cost me just under £1400 for 2 adults and one child to Orlando. The same flights with BA direct were over £2500 and Virgin £2600 when we booked. It a little bit longer travelling, but it means we have an extra £1000 plus, spending money.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight changed and separate flight🙀

Its not a 4 hour internal flight from Chicago O'Hare to Orland, Should take a little over 2 Hours!!!