We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

after picking up rental car--2 hours?...3 hours??

I may have to start traveling from San Diego to Del Rey Beach often next year...while there is a convenient non-stop flight back home from Miami, the same route going from San Diego is a red eye, which I loathe....I can fly nonstop from SAN to MCO at a reasonable time in the mid-morning and get in at a reasonable time ( i.e. 5:55PM)...was wondering if it made more sense to fly into MCO and drive, suffer with a red eye through Miami, or take a one-stop with a layover in either Dallas or Atlanta that would get me into FLL or PBI.

Thanks

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

Closer to 3 than 2 with much of the drive along the Turnpike which is two lanes, high speed, and very boring. I'd typically pay more for the convenience of non-stop, but I think I'd prefer a 2-3 hour layover which will get me closer to the destination than a 2-3 hour drive after a long flight. Not sure if it would be out of pocket or reimbursed/expensed for you, but I suppose the cost of the various options would be a big consideration

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

Company will be reimburse me, so I am looking for most convenient.

Going, looks as though I will probably take the one stop that gets me into PBI--which is fine as I have a friend who lives in Palm Beach whom I can stay with....will probably go in over weekend and get adjusted to time zone and Palm Beach appears relatively close to Del Rey Beach (Office Depot HQ's).

Going home, I will have option of driving from Del Rey to Miami to catch a non-stop or go back home via one-stop connection through PBI or FLL....I trust Del Rey to Miami airport in mid-afternoon (3 or 4PM should take me +/- 60 minutes).

Thx

Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

I share your loathing of taking a redeye from SAN-MCO. I did it in April, got zero sleep and felt like a zombie all the next day. Given your options, I would also lean towards the one-stop thru PBI or FLL. Going back, did you realize that Alaska Airlines has a morning MCO-SAN non-stop flight I think 5 days per week?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

Yes...did notice MCO-SAN, but since my customer is in the Del Rey beach area it would appear as though Miami (also nonstop--leaves at 6:50PM gets me in at 8:50PM PST) is significantly closer than Orlando from Del Rey, no?..thx

5. Re: How Long to Drive from MCO Airport to Del Rey Beach Area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:18