We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ears popping

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochford, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ears popping

We're off to Orlando in just under 4 weeks & my husband suffers from bad ear pain only on landing? Apart from the usual chew gum, keep swallowing etc, anybody got any other tips? Thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ears popping

I find sucking on a mint helps.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ears popping

Try to yawn. It sounds stupid, but it does work.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ears popping

Karvol on a tissue helps,

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ears popping

This used to happen to my daughter and years ago one of the cabin crew on a flight we were on suggested using Karvol on her. They are little capsules you break open and put on a hanky to decongest. Works a treat!

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ears popping

Hiya,

You can buy some earplugs from places like 'Boots' these were recommended to me for my son.

He did say they didn't help very much but when I looked I had bought childrens ones and hes a teenage boy, taller and bigger than me!

Anyone else ever used these??

Devon UK
Level Contributor
819 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ears popping

Squeeze your nose and blown it changes the pressure in your ears

Fishkill, New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ears popping

I have the same problem with chronic ear pressure. There's a product called Earplanes that has been such a relief. They look like earplugs but they relieve the pressure from landing. I used to get shooting pains all down my face and into my gums, it was awful. These are a real life saver.

amazon.com/Travel-Conair-EarPlanes-Flight-Pr…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ears popping

Earplanes - fantastic. Although, i personally use in ear headphones (well I have custom made in-ear monitors) and they are brilliant. - put them in prior to take off, and you won't have the popping on take off, same with landing!

wigan
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ears popping

They usually sell Earlpanes in boots too,ive personally never needed to try them as Dr Chris Steele did a subject on it once on this morning, and i remember he said its the build up of earwax in the ear that makes them hurt.. so always really give your ears a good clean before you fly, he also said to use vicks for sinus relief and suck on something like a lolly, sweet or chew gum....hard to do all at the same time though lol.

I use these methods as i used to suffer terribly with it,but now i dont.

Goodluck!

Marish

Newton Aycliffe...
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ears popping

Same here! I will check out the earplanes, i'm also having ear candleing down a week before i go, supposed to help relieve the pain, but we shall see!! :$