We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando and Miami - How to plan

I am planning a trip from Houston to Orlando in the 1st or 2 nd week of September. I am travelling with my wife and my son of 2 yrs 8 months.

I am looking for a trip to be budgeted and not luxury.

Key destinations:

In Orlando like Disney, Universal and other key things. Then we want to head towards Miami as these beaches are very clean and among the best.

What are the must see beaches and activities i can do in Miami?

Travel mode:

Right now I am travelling from Houston to Orlando by flight and drive to Miami. We plan to spend 2 days in Miami. Drive back to Orlando and take a flight to Houston.

So far this looks to me the cheapest route to travel.

Are there any suggestion on the mode I am travelling?

How many days?

As we want to cover Orlando and Miami, can we cover the whole trip in 4 days 3 nights days?

Accommodation

I am looking for a economical yet safe place to stay with family. Being new in united states this is one of the most important aspect. Can someone suggest the good budget hotels? Are Motels safe to stay?

I will appreciate any sugestions.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

For 4 days 3 nights you want to visit Orlando and Miami but you are flying into Orlando then drive to Miami and back to Orlando.

It is best you stay in Orlando for your 4 days and visit Miami in another time.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

"What are the must see beaches and activities i can do in Miami?"

Ask this on the Miami forum.

"How many days?"

"As we want to cover Orlando and Miami, can we cover the whole trip in 4 days 3 nights days? "

Absolutely not. Driving to/from Miami will take a minimum of ½ day each way. Many people going to Orlando to visit the theme parks stay 7, 10 or even 14 days. There is plenty to see and do, but your budget will best determine how long you can stay there. Price the tickets and ticket packages. The parks are world class, but not a budget destination.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Hi Thank you for the information. It makes sense to do just orlando for 4 days and 3 nights. Are there some great beaches I can visit? As we want to cover the beaches as well.

In case I extend my vacation to 6 days and 5 nights can I cover both the destinations?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Not in Orlando no but good beaches can be found in Clearwater towards the Gulf of Mexico. It's about a 2hr drive from Orlando. Or to the other side on the Atlantic Ocean is Cocoa Beach. That's about an hour drive from Orlando.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Firstly if you plan to cover both Orlando and Miami, I suggest you search for flights flying into Orlando and fly out of Miami or even Fort Lauderdale. This will save you half a day of driving back to Orlando. This would be a start.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

My suggestion would be to drive from Houston, stop at some of the beautiful white sand beaches of the Panhandle, and then maybe on to Orlando if you have the time. Orlando has 4 parks In Disney, 2 parks in Universal, then there is Seaworld, plus Busch Gardens in Tampa.

You really need to first set some priorities, and with your very LIMITED time, Orlando, Miami, and some beaches won't be a realistic goal for a trip.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 22:26
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

"Are there some great beaches I can visit? As we want to cover the beaches as well. "

Orlando Sentinel beach recommendations: orlandosentinel.com/travel/…4514450.story

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Thank you for the response.

@ cruzncouple

I was thinking of driving from houston but how safe it will be when we are just husband, wife and kid....

@sky0000547

Thanks for the idea...let me check this option

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
796 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Were going for 14 nights and 15 days and don't have time for miami. Were not even doing Disney lol.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando and Miami - How to plan

Don't understand the safety question. Interstate 10 to Panhandle beach area, then to particulat towns. If going on to Orlando I-10 to I-75 to Floroda Turnpike to Orlando. Now a "dangerous" drive.