We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
206 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Hello,

I hope someone can help me I feel a little over whelmed on where to stay. We are planning a Disney vacation next May. I was wanting to stay right in Disney but then saw the prices. So off Disney might be a better idea. We are looking for a Hotel, condo or resort with a nice pool. We will probably only be at the parks 3 days and the rest we want to swim at the pool relaxing or may go to the beach.

It will be my husband and I, and our 6, 5 and 1 year old. Any advice you could give would be great. Is Kissimee good ? Or would you recommend another area? We don't want to pay anymore than $300.00 a night if possible. Prefer a larger room (Suite) or 1 or 2 bedroom.

Thank you for any help !

pa
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

For a first visit, I highly Recomend staying at a Disney Resort, you can certainly get a nice Resort for $300 a night or less, there will be Spring Discounts, need to wait a bit for those.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Although the rack rates (which are the starting points for the discounts) really seem to have gone up this year, I agree with partypa that as first time visitors you are better off staying on site, especially since the fifth person in the room is an infant who will be in a crib. Until you have been to WDW, you can't begin to appreciate how big it is, and how hard and time-consuming it is to get anywhere in WDW from off site. It is much better to have transportation at the hotel door, and that is doubly true with an infant as the WDW buses can handle strollers without a problem.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Check into the Art of Animation Suite.....Its a value resort ..... depends on when you are going you might can get it at a decent rate .... They have cars, nemo, and lion king suite. 3 beds, two bath Also if staying on site you don't have to pay for parking at the theme parks and can use the free disney transport system. so staying off site might want to look at how much parking will cost you. might be better and cheaper to stay on site

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

In addition to the Disney family suites, you might enjoy the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They are in Disney's "moderate category". Kitchen, huge outdoor deck, a bedroom with bunk beds and a double bed, as well as a double bed in the living room. They sleep 6 and are a quick boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. Perfect for the ages of your children!

While planning, please consider 4 days in the parks. One day for each of Disney's four theme parks. Each park is worth a visit!

Happy planning!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Thanks so much everyone !! You have been so helpful. There is so much information out there. Thanks for helping me narrow it down a little. I will look into these.

illinois
Level Contributor
394 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Tracy - we are a family of 6 and have been "doing" Disney for 20 plus years. My husband LOVES to stay on property (and shell out the $$$) but I do not like to spend all that money! We have stayed at almost every WDW resort hotel and at hotels off property too. Staying off property can save you big bucks, and most of us have been very happy about that! My favorite place that we stayed was the Staybridge Suites. It is a very shot distance to Downtown Disney, the rooms are huge - we got the 2 bedroom with a living room/kitchen, and the pool is good enough! Plus you get breakfast. From there you can easily drive to all 4 Disney Theme Parks. 10 minutes to Hollywood Studios & Epcot, 20 minutes to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. 5 minutes or less to drive to Downtown Disney area. We just got back from a stay at Saratoga $$$ Springs. It was a lovely resort, with a nice 2 bedroom villa, but we probably paid 3 times what it would have cost at Staybridge - the only bonus was we could have opted to take WDW busses to the parks or have free parking if we drove to the parks. Or participate in extra magic hours - which we did twice - but I could live without staying at Magic Kingdom until 1 AM! So consider it. Yes there is a "Disney" feel at most resorts on property, but you will pay for it, and the savings could be spent for a lovely day at the beach - and then some!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

We are going for the first time in February with our 2 kids and my SIL. We've rented a townhouse in the Windsor Hills community. It's only 5 minutes from Disney and looks to have a fantastic pool, clubhouse, etc. We have a full kitchen and our's actually has it's own pool! Just a small one but big enough for our kids (ages 7 and 4) to have fun in after a day at the parks! For us, this was a MUCH better value than any of the Disney resorts! Plus it gives us more flexibility for food and activities outside of Disney!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,764 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Don't forget that if you are staying off property and driving, you'll have to add an extra $14 (maybe $15 by the time next May rolls around) fee for parking to each day's visit to a Disney theme park to your costs. You won't have to pay that if you stay at a Disney resort, so be sure to add that "perk" into the cost of your lodging.

pa
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

Just a side note

Nothing Is 5 Minutes Away. Even if you stay at a Disney Resort, none of the Parks are 5 minutes away. The closest is the Contemporary, that is a 10 minute walk, at the very least. Disney Property is 47 Square Miles, City unto itself

No matter where you stay, allow an hour to get to the Parks

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,701 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Disney with the family. Advice on lodging.

The Hyatt Grand Cypress has a fabulous pool. We also like the Staybridge Suites LBV,Buena Vista palace,Marriott Grande Vista and the Marriott Harbour Lakes.Plenty of room to spread out-a kitchen-easy to meet other kids for your to play with-and a much better value than the Disney Resorts. if you only want to stay at Disney,check rates at the Fort wilderness cabins which have lots to do besides the parks