We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locked cases

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Locked cases

Hi we are off to wdw in September and I think somewhere I read about suit cases not having locks on them as they get searched, and also shoes and toiletries being on top of cases can anyone help us with this please

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locked cases

You can lock them if you want but must use TSA locks or they'll just cut the locks off. Never read anything about how to pack you bag though.

Norwich, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locked cases

What does tsa mean please

Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locked cases

We didnt know our cases had been searchec through until we came home and homeland security had left their calling card in our case - we had no locks and nothing to hide, just dirty washing!!!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locked cases

Transportation Security Administration, basically it's the locks that the Homeland Security people can get into without breaking. You can buy them anywhere.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,517 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Locked cases

TSA = Transportation Safety Administration. or it might be Security ... close enough anyway, LOL.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 22:05
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locked cases

We never lock our cases. Carry all valuables in your hand luggage.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locked cases

I always lock my cases and I use TSA approved locks. Had my case searched by TSA at MCO. After collecting my luggage at MAN I thought that was not how I locked my case. Opened the case and low and behold a note left by TSA commenting on the case was searched.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locked cases

^^^same as above^^^

I always think that locks kinda advertise you have something you wish to keep safe in there , i.e. any thief will most likely go for a suitcase with a lock on then one without

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locked cases

Don't get hung up about special TSA locks or even ordinary padlocks, just use cable ties (zip ties).

(Transportation Security Administration, Department of Homeland Security)

All you want to do is make your case secure from accidental opening and stopping the contents being sprawled all over the carousel.

Don't think you can keep anyone out of your case with padlocks see ...

http://bit.ly/zipsecure

Bearing this in mind don't put anything valuable or anything you can't afford to lose in your checked baggage.

This is not meant to be scare tactics as the chance of theft is normally low but is more about appreciating that the object is just to make sure your case stays shut.

David

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,517 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Locked cases

Homer, my thoughts exactly, now that only the TSA locks are allowed ... we use the plastic zip ties just to prevent the zippers from sliding open.