We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Tampa with BA

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Tampa with BA

We're going to Orlando on 28th September but flying with BA to Tampa and not Sanford or MCO. I've never never flown with BA before and never been to Tampa Airport before, does anyone have experience of this and how long the drive is to Kissimmee. Also I believe it will be a BA 777, what's it like in economy with BA space wise compared to Ryanair! I usually like to go with Virgin but BA to Tampa where a lot cheaper hence the choice. What's it like getting through Tampa airport and getting on the road as well?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

I think the drive will take about 1.5 hours but it will depend on the amount of traffic and the time of day you arrive. IMHO it would be best to spend your first night at an hotel near Tampa airport and not attempt the drive when you are tired after the long flight.

swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

Hi flown with BA into Tampa a few times ,in fact will be doing so again on 9th Sep,

Tampa airport is a WHOLE lot better than Sanford ,bigger nicer etc,most major car rentals are on site as well

As for the flight ,to be honest economy is economy,all pretty much the same,pretty good entertainment in personal seatback TVs ,food average ,but to be fair we found it edible at least,never flown with Ryanair,but what i can tell you is you get 31" leg room [?] in economy ,i think that's about 2" more than Ryanair,its either a 3-4-3,or 3-3-3 configuration,cant honestly remember ,you can by the way check in and get rid of your luggage the night before if you wish ,which is what we do,then in the morning you can just chill out and stroll through the check in and into the departure lounge [after security of course]

From Tampa allow about one and half hours to get up to Orlando ,roads are pretty well signposted and its a straightforward drive.

Hope this is of some help

Fishman

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

It will be a 3-4-3 configuration.

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

Journey time depending on time of day about 1.5 hours. It has been a few years since I did this route but always found Tampa airport easy to navigate through.

Customs / immigration a lot quicker than MCO and once in your hire car finding the I4 is easy.

From memory I think your flight arrives around 4 pm FL time and IMHO having done it I would just drive up to Orlando .

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

I've read some good things about tampa and apparently as they have less international flights the queues at immigration are apparently better!? We're staying in a hotel at the airport the night before so is it easy enough to go to the airport the night before to check bags in and then just get up and go the next morning? Quite looking forward to it, our villa is at Championsgate so hope the drive won't be too bad! I'm guessing its probably not much further than driving from Sanford if we went there, flew to Danford before with Thomas Cook and its still a fair drive so thought Tampa couldn't be that bad! Getting very excited now just k ow September s going to drag in, going k. 28th September. I've hired a Mustang Convertible (or similar) so I'm hoping they have mustangs at AVIS ill be a bit gutted if they don't! Does anyone have experience of this at Tampa, what convertibles they have?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

BA B77W is a good plane, legroom I found was okay and there was a man 6'2 in the seat next to me who had no problem either. 3-4-3 config but really good to fly on.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,968 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

I fly that flight all the time (about twice a year anyway).

The airport is good, the flight is fine. The food is airline food. nuff said,

The car rentals are in airport across the road from baggage claim- easy peasy. The roadworks outside the airport that used to be a pain have finished.

The only prob is arrival time/day of week. M-F that normal arrival time around 4:30 means you'll be leaving the AP at the height of rush hour. S,S aren't as bad. I275N to I4 E. I go south towards St pete so don't take the route you will.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

count 2 to 2-1/2 hours to get to Orlando that time of day -- even without rush hour, it will take you the better part of 30 minutes just to get out of Tampa.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

I,ve done this flight a few times with BA, 777 Aircraft are good, You really can't compare with Ryanair [They use Cattle Buses] Tampa Airport is very easy to get thru, Should take you under 2 Hours to get to Kissimmee. Would recommend that you have a GPS [Sat Nav] with you.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Tampa with BA

<count 2 to 2-1/2 hours to get to Orlando that time of day -- even without rush hour, it will take you the better part of 30 minutes just to get out of Tampa.>

Why would it take you 2.5 hours without rush-hour to get from Tampa to Orlando? It's like 80 miles and absolutely doable in 1.5 hours. Done that MANY times.

As for TPA. It's a really nice airport. There are barely any international flights that haven't been pre-cleared for immigration so you will most likely have the immigration hall for your flight only.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 15:05