We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time senior visit

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time senior visit

We are taking a friend to Orlando to magic kingdom and possibly some other parks. She has never been to any of the parks and is in her 70s. She wants to see Cinderella and be a princess and we want to make this trip special. She won't be up for the fast or scarey rides so I'm looking for suggestions. I also have a friend that may need a wheelchair. We will be in Orlando for @5 fun days plus travel. Ideas? Thanks.

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time senior visit

Welcome to the Forum

You can all be a Princess for the day at the Magic Kingdom. Plenty to do and see and enjoy without going on any fast rides. I would try and make an ADR ( advance dining reservation ) for Cinderella's Castle to complete the day at Magic kingdom. I would suggest visiting all 4 Disney Parks, they are all unique and fun and book other Restaurants as needed too. Not sure when you plan to go but you can book ADRs 180 days in advance. All your Disney World Dining Options http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm Book on line at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

You can rent a wheel chair at each Park, each Day or use an outside company and have it delivered to you so you have it for your length of stay. More info if needed :)

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time senior visit

My dad's over 80, won't do fast or scary rides and loves Disney World. There's a lot there for people who don't, from browsing the shops to shows to rides like Jungle Cruise and Soarin' Over California to sitting and people watching while eating a Mickey Bar.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time senior visit

That's the beauty of Disney parks; there's enough thrill rides to make the daring folks happy, but many more "tame" rides that are simply for sitting back and enjoying.

I hope the senior "princess" has the time of her life!!

Morrisville, North...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time senior visit

I have taken my parents (both in their late-60's) to Disney twice in the last 2 years and they loved every second of it. If you are staying in a Disney Resort hotel - I would strongly recommend having your seniors rent ECV's (aka scooters). The size of the parks would have left them exhausted and not able to enjoy anything - these things made all the difference in the world.

Both times we have used outside companies and just rented an ECV for the duration of the trip and it worked out wonderfully. They bring the ECV to the resort and it is waiting for you when you arrive. Disney buses, boats and monorails are all equipped to transport these and almost everything is easy to access. (I am an avid Disney fan but I have never been more impressed with Disney service than how accommodating and considerate they were to my senior parents in their ECV's. It was obvious the cast members have all been trained to watch for those things and there is always someone there to re-direct you, or open a gate for you, etc)

If you do decide to rent an ECV there are several companies you can work with. I would say just remember you get what you pay for. We did learn that the cheaper companies were more likely to give you a worn ECV .

A must-do ride is Soarin' ... young or old that ride is a "must" for everyone. We mostly stuck to the exhibits, shows and slow boat-type rides. I found that there were more of those than I realized once I started looking for them.

I booked reservations in EPCOT and the Rose and Crown and requested a table with a view of the Reflections show (everyone requests, but not everyone receives :-). Both of my parents enjoyed it immensely.

Since many of the Disney experiences were "out" - I chose to have our meals in more interesting places that were unique. (Hoop-De-Do review for dinner one night, Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios, Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom, etc).

5. Re: 1st time senior visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:18