We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to spacecentre

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to spacecentre

hi

we 3 adults will be in Orlando at the end of October and high up our list is a visit to the space centre. Is a one day visit enough time to see and do everything there without rushing it, or would we need two days

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to spacecentre

DO you mean KSC? If you mean KSC then yes, one full day is enough to see everything. It will be busy around the Atlantis exhibit but that's to be expected!

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to spacecentre

yes KSC

What is the Atlantis exhibit and is there time to do that as well in one day

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to spacecentre

You will have time to do the whole KSC. SS Atlantis was put on display after she was retired from the programme.

It depends how much you're in to space exploration and NASA though, to say if you'd spend the entire day there. I personally would go from opening until closing but I am a space geek. You can do the whole KSC within 5 or 6 hours, taking your time though :-) (that said, if you did not take your time, you could do it in 3)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to spacecentre

Unless you are really into technology and linger at each exhibit or want to take multiple optional tours, one day is enough.

Most of the day will be at your own pace. Even the standard tour (included with admission) is a hop-on, hop-off tour, so you determine how long it takes.

Most of the things to see are clustered right around the visitors' complex, and the various bus tours leave from there. The main exception is the Astronaut Hall of Fame, which is included in admission, but is located at a separate site 5-6 miles west of the main visitors' complex. The AHF focuses more on the people who went into space, not the technology. Some people skip that altogether, although I have found it interesting, and it does have a few smaller simulator rides.

I would plan on arriving about 9 a.m., at opening. Usually, the crowds are not too challenging -- the worst delays are sometimes in buying tickets and going through a security screening at the entrance. The new Atlantis exhibit is fantastic, and has attracted much attention, also.

I would also recommend doing the standard tour as soon as possible. I believe the first departure is at 10. There are two IMAX films available in two separate theatres -- both are worth the time. Even the large gift shop deserves a visit, as it has lots of interesting books, toys, patches, etc.

If you finish up early, you can visit the Atlantic Ocean beach cities of Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach (about 20-25 minutes south on highway SR3), which are interesting even of you don't go into the water. There's a big cruise port there, and it's fun to watch the huge ships sailing out -- usually around 4-5 p.m. It's also the surfing capital of the US east coast, so you can get dinner on the pier and watch them gliding over the waves. The well-known Ron Jon Surf Shop has its flagship store there, where you can browse for the famous t-shirts.

See www.kennedyspacecenter.com and www.visitcocoabeach.com .

The space center and Cocoa Beach are both about 60 minutes from Disney (less from the airport area) via the Beachline Expressway, SR 528.

Ferryhill, England...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to spacecentre

We did the Space center a few years ago and you can defo do it in a day, a bus takes you around and drops you off and you kind of follow the crowds (if busy) then jump on the next bus and go to the next drop of point.

to be honest i like Space and stuff and i'm pleased i did KSC but wouldn't do it again, it's more of a been there done that thanks very much place, but it is ok and you will enjoy it if your into space and that kind of stuff but thats my opinion and everyone is different.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to spacecentre

Hiya,

We managed the tour, dine with an astronaut, and saw the attractions in 1 day, was a lovely day, very different to the parks and very interesting, kids loved it too!

7. Re: Visit to spacecentre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:19