We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or September?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
May or September?

Hi, I was wondering if you could help. We're planning to go to orlando for the first time next year but can't decide when the best time to go would be? We've narrowed it down to either may or September but aren't sure which would be best e.g when would be quieter or have the best weather. Any advice from those who've been been before would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May or September?

September may be less crowded overall, but May definitely has the better weather.

I've been in both months many times over the past 17 years, and if you choose very early in May, that would be optimal as crowds will be very manageable and weather will be nearly perfect.

September is very hot, humid, rainy, and a chance of tropical storms and hurricanes, but it does usually have slightly lower crowd levels than May, but that's it's only advantage.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May or September?

Weatherwise, late September and May are quite similar, although there might be a slightly increased chance of a tropical weather system coming through. I would recommend late September, rather than earlier in the month.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May or September?

Two good months to come, if you choose May then I would say do the first couple of weeks of early May as schools are still in session and the weather is just starting to heat up. If you opt for September, then go to the last couple of weeks, school is back in session and the weather and afternoon thunderstorms are calming down. This AM it was 75 and absoutely beautiful, I had my car windows open driving in to work...something I hadn't done in months. Currently it is 88 degrees and still very comfortable.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May or September?

Last time I went (2009) we went the last two weeks of September. We had one small rainshower one afternoon, and one small thunderstorm one night and that was it! Great weather the rest the time. We are thinking of going the first two weeks next September.

wales
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May or September?

We've been in September and I have photos of us in universal and it looks like the park is shut its so quiet. Been there at the end of may and weather was good but Star Wars weekend and bank holiday meant it was busy. Early may might be good

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,871 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May or September?

September after Labor Day when the crowds are light .

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May or September?

I don't want to alarm you, but you should know that early and mid-September is still PEAK hurricane season. That doesn't mean that a hurricane will strike Central Florida, but it does mean an increased chance of any tropical weather systems (e.g. named tropical storms & tropical depressions) causing heavy rain and winds.

London
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May or September?

We've been early May and the weather was just perfect.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May or September?

The earlier in May you can go the better because June is just plain hot. I will take a crowd over the heat.

September over late May. September is less crowded as well.

Regarding hurricanes in Orlando, I can only recall once (I think in 2004) that a hurricane bothered Disney at all in at least the last decade. It was inclement weather; but, no one died, got hurt, etc. Disney has all that stuff covered if a hurricane really happens. Many Floridians go to Disney during hurricane season for this reason.

Honestly, at least for me, hurricanes are the least of my concerns at Disney. Most hurricanes do not go into the middle of the state where Disney is located.

London
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May or September?

Thats exactly what I was thinking Daddy.......Disney usually escapes as hurricanes seem to hit coastal towns in my experience. However, the rain is another thing.....lol never seen rain like it!