We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney vs Universal

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
457 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Disney vs Universal

I'm totally addicted to anything Disney and would never miss a chance to go back by my husband is a little bored with it. He suggested that we do Universal next visit to Orlando. Just curious what your opinions are on it. Also have you stayed at Universal Hotels? Which one and what did you think of it? Thanks for your input.

Misty

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney vs Universal

We do Universal once in a while, we don't enjoy it as much as Disney. However, the Universal hotels are fab, we have stayed at the Portofino & Royal Pacific a few times and love both of them. Of the 2 at a push I would pick the Portofino Bay, the rooms are large and comfortable and the resort is beautiful. We always stay onsite when visiting Universal, the express passes are a great perk.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney vs Universal

Universal and ios are a must see for me. Faster rides, I especially like duelling dragons. Managed to be at the front so I could pretend im a fighter pilot!

Plenty for younger kids to if I remember

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
457 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney vs Universal

Thanks Ray and USLovers.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,909 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney vs Universal

Misty we love both us and disney. Last September we stayed 6 nights at the Portofino (our third visit) and popped over to seaworld and wet n wild also (free shuttles from the on site hotels to these parks). We had a great time (no disney that trip, we do them separately). It's very cozy at us/ioa, with the boats and walking back and forth between the parks and Citiwalk.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
457 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney vs Universal

Thank you princess.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney vs Universal

Don't get me wrong, you cant really go over there without going to Disney, more so if you've never been before. I think Disney is more for the kids (and the big kids too) but Universal, in my opinion, is more for adults and bigger kids where I think the rides are a bit more fierce than those at Disney and Universal is more centred around movies and the rides etc where Disney is more about the experience and Disney in general. Universal doesn't have that magic that Disney has and neither does it have that magic feeling of when your driving there under the sings and things.

Personally, we are going back at the end of the month and were not likely to go to Disney more probably Universal, we don't have any kids but if we did have kids we would go to Disney as I think Disney is more geared towards kids, but having said that I do understand why people love Disney as there is something magical about the place. I think it also comes down to cost, if I had loads of money id go to Disney but as buying park tickets for Disney and Universal is so expensive you sort of have to choose between one or the other as I think if you spend loads on tickets for them both you feel that you have to go to a park every day and you end up not enjoying the holiday for being at theme parks all the time to get your monies worth!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney vs Universal

I'm a little Disney biased (did you see my user name?) but I think Universal is a blast too. I'd say Universal is a little heavier in the "big kid thrill ride" category. I wouldn't say Disney is geared more toward kids but it has more attractions for everyone (meaning, all ages).

I would suggest staying on site at Universal as well. Most of the rides are Express Pass rides, and that is included when you stay on site. In fact, a new on site hotel is opening soon, so you might want to check that out!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney vs Universal

Just be aware that the new Universal hotel doesn't included the express passes with the room.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
457 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney vs Universal

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney vs Universal

There will be 4 Universal hotels when the new one is finished. Just stayed 2 weeks at the Hard Rock, absolutely awesome, would definitely recommend. Did MK and HS but, IMO, both are dated and in parts dim, wouldn't do Disney again when I go back. Universal is much more up to date and far better rides.