We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

Kent
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

I have flown to Orlando a few times and always with va. I am looking to go next year during the summer holidays and I have a feeling the price of va is going to be extortionate (their prices aren't on this far in advance yet).

I am open to flying with other carriers, but am obviously used to Virgin and I don't want to fly and feel extremely disappointed. I have no experience of long haul with any other company and would appreciate any feedback you have of others, for instance leg room, food quality, inboard entertainment etc.

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
381 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

My knowledge is limited but I don't think there's much difference with the companies, monarch are fine and usually cheaper than va, also united airlines are good too but think they are connecting flights, I use va and monarch usually, whoever's cheaper.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

I usually go with Virgin, but have been able to more than 11 months out with FlyThomasCook inclusive of luggage, meals and seat selection (which are all optional extras on TC) at a price significantly lower than I would anticipate the Virgin prices ever being.

This is for Manchester to Orlando.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

There is not much difference between BA and Virgin, we go with who ever is the cheapest out of Gatwick.

Last year we went with Thomson from Newcastle but then you have the drive from Sanford airport.

Mentioned in this post
Sanford
Sanford
Central Florida, FL
Kent
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

Sorry, should have said I will be travelling from either Gatwick or Heathrow.

Thanks for your comments so far, I was wondering about BA as they sometimes look cheaper, depending on the dates.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

but am obviously used to Virgin and I don't want to fly and feel extremely disappointed.

==================

You will not because all carriers are pretty much alike in economy in respect of IFE, food and legroom Really there is nothing special about Virgin. There are a wealth of options open to you...Direct flights you have BA, Thomas Cook and Thomson but don't expect these flights to be much cheaper than VA in the summer holidays.

But your choice really opens up if you fly indirect... You have American Airlines, Delta, US Airways, United Airlines and Air Canada all with decent connections through US hubs. Expect these to be a little cheaper than a direct flight but as this is the peak period for travel they are still going to be expensive.

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

Try Aerlingus from Dublin and u do the immigration and customs in Dublin before u fly and it's hassle free just another opition

EI-mco

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

BA are sooo much better than Virgin and usually a bit cheaper.If you want to go direct to MCO Virgin, BA & Thomas Cook will be your only choices, of the 3 Virgin would be my last choice. If you are happy to fly indirect USAirways and Delta are 2 we have used and never had a problem with either.

Mentioned in this post
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

I have flown with a few, most recently Delta and Thomas cook.

As has been said they are much of a muchness although I do prefer a scheduled airline but you pay extra so that you dont have to pay for extras. Whatever gets me there as quickly and panlessly as possible works for me.

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

Have all the other carriers got the same ife as virgin? I dont think so, kept my boys entertained ... 100s of movies ,,games etc, stop and play to suit ... I remember a flight we had on monarch about 12 years ago and we asked for a lemonade just after leaving sanford............ sorry but it was all used on the flight over from the u.k. Saying this if i could only afford monarch i would use them no probs..

Dumfries
Level Contributor
107 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternatives to Virgin Atlantic

Virgin are deteriorating year in year apart from the ife in my opinion. Food even in flight service is going downhill