We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
highlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Last year when we went to pick up our hire car they tried to get us to take roadside recovery. They said if the car needed towed etc it would cost us a lot of money. I refused it at the time. Husband thought we should have taken it. What is the consensus on this? Do you think this cover is worth it? I thought the rental company would be responsible if the car broke down.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Roadside assistance is included with a lot of rentals, I know Avis includes it. IMO if they rent you a car that breaks down it's up to them to come get it!

highlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

That's what I thought.

We have rented from Alamo this year. Will check if it is included.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Rented with Alamo Brits this year and it wasnt included. I didnt think about it when I was driving around the attractions etc. However, went to the beach for 3 days it did cross my mind a few times "what if I broke down out here etc." I think I will probably get it next year, just for peace of mind.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,702 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

We have never even thought about it

The cars aren't exactly clapped out

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,490 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

I would say no.

My expectation when I rent a car is that it is going to work. If the car were to break down to the extent that it needs towing, that is THEIR responsibility and to come get me or deliver a new car to me.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,680 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

We have never been asked to pay extra for it ;have broken down and just had the car towed to the nearest location of the company we rented from after calling them.They arrange the tow. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

I've never seen companies offer straight break down cover, it's usually some sort of enhanced cover as after all it's their car and their responsibility as part of their contract with you to provide you with a suitable vehicle. From what I understand, and especially as most of the cars tend to be new or new ISP, they come with break down cover but they can offer you an enhanced version of it at extra cost. If their car breaks down I'd ring them and say come get it!

highlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will decline it if offered. As you say their cars should be roadworthy and are their responsibility.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 19:08
Cardiff
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

I was thinking more along the lines of if you get a puncture and have a problem changing the wheel.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: when renting a car do you take out the roadside recovery?

Are you members of the Royal Automobile Club? If so, you might have reciprocal privileges with the American Automobile Association (AAA) that would cover you.