We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
Save Topic
Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Well, after all these years on TA, I finally need some help. I have to meet an elderly person (82 years old) from an International flight (Caribbean Airways). From the MCO map I know CA uses Terminal A. But how close to the Bag Drop can I go to meet her?

She is not used to large airports like MCO. I've only used MCO twice and each time the walk from deplaning to Immig/Cust. seems to take forever. (Felt like I walked to Disney, lol). It was so long that I figured we must be at least in the main part of the Terminal, but no, after the Bag Drop we still had to take the shuttle to get to the Terminal, then another longish walk to Baggage Claim.

Thanks for any replies.

Magic Kingdom Park
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Call the airline and explain the situation and ask for a wheelchair to meet her when she gets off the plane. They will bring her down to the baggage area. Because of her age I'm sure they will oblige especially since it is a long walk and she will be frightened.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

The wheelchair is an excellent idea and one that never occurred to me. You can meet her in baggage claim on the A side.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Hi AhHah, domestic or international, the security checkpoints are at the far ends (east and west) of the main terminal building so the closest you can get as a non passenger without a boarding pass is the end of the building where they get on and off the above ground train ("monorail") to/from their gate. Note that A side and B side are the long sides of the terminal building and only important for matching the airline so you know where to go for ticketing and domestic baggage. For you, you'll probably want to park in the garage on the appropriate side to make life easier. To meet her, it's the GATE you want to know and therefore be able to walk to the correct end of the terminal to meet her after the train which will be your closest opportunity. orlandoairports.net/ops/…wayfinding_maps.pdf

As phyllis says, I imagine there is some sort of wheel chair service. I haven't read through this nor had occasion to use it, but here is disabled info www.orlandoairports.net/ops/disabled.htm

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Make sure the airline knows the passenger needs assistance due to age/handicap getting from the plane to the the baggage pickup location. Depending on the airport and the distance, a wheelchair with a porter to push the wheelchair might be provided (be ready to tip the porter), or a small motorized cart may be available to transport the passenger and will be waiting at the gate for disabled passengers or others with special needs.

It is best for the passenger needing assistance to let a flight attendant on the flight know that she will be needing assistance after exiting the plane. If it has been pre-arranged, a flight attendant might verify this at some point during the flight with the passenger, but don't expect this, it is better for the passenger to be pro-active in letting an attendant know.

Had to do this in years past when traveling with my MIL and usually it worked out with no problems; however, one time the flight attendant misunderstood where we were de-planing to transfer to another flight and we did not have the cart there for her. So we had to wait for a little bit.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Don't ask for a cart ask for the wheelchair as I suggested. They will put it in their system and someone will be there when she steps off the plane. My husband had a disability and the first time we asked for the cart and it never showed up, We almost missed our connection. From then on we asked for the wheelchair and it was always there on the many trips we took.

UK
Level Contributor
336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Just request wheelchair assistance and someone will accompany your relative until they hand them over to you.

We used to get assistance with my Nan through Tampa or MCO all the time, always helpful kind people .

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Thanks everyone ... your replies are comforting. We'll do the wheelchair and hopefully meet her at baggage claim.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

Call the airline and explain the situation and ask to go to the gate a have a wheelchair there.. They will give you a pass to go to the gate and accompany her and the wheelchair to immigration,bagage claim,your car wherever. We did this at MCO just a few weeks ago;our relative needs assistance from the plane to the wheelchair and we are accustomed to this kind of transfer and the airline accomdated us-we had to go through Security of course but you can go to the gate in these situations

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,919 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

I know at JFK they won't let you go to the gate but the person pushing the wheelchair will take you, in the chair to baggage claims and they will remove your baggage from the belt and then push you out to where waiting family can greet you. This extra help, should, of course, earn an extra tip!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeting Elderly Person From An International Flight

If lady you are meeting is capable of the walk and independent (like many of the elderly travellers I work with are) then you could arrange 'Meet and Assist' instead of wheelchair assistance. She will likewise be met and guided through passport control and baggage claim out to arrivals, just without the wheelchair. I have a few clients that are very fussy about this as they don't like to feel they're 'taking' a wheelchair from someone who needs it more, or to feel incapable of the walk. Of course if she'll be more comfortable with a chair then by all means go for it. If she booked through a TA they will do it all for you, rather than you having to speak direct to the airline.