We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
782 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

In four weeks one of my dream vacations is becoming real. We leave oct 16th and i have lots of questions. I made all our advanced dining reservations except for one which i'm gonna wait till we are there. I pretty much know ( only from reading posts on this site for the last 6 months) what we should try and see. I have lists of the most important rides and what parks they are in. Now i'm asking if there are any must see/do for us ( 2 crazy, love to have fun adults) that we are missing? plus Ladies, the big question is what do you wear in the parks all day? I did go and purchase a pair of clark waves sneaker like shoes ,,, i plan on staring to wear them around the house first soon. but what other kind of shoes, any dress shoes for evening? and is shorts and t-shirts ok all day long? I was able to pick up about 5 new clearance t-shirts this summer at the disney store. pretty cute ones too and all under 10$. I think i did well :) i know people have there own dress style but really just trying to see what people wear there. Also do you carry a crossbody bag with ya? I was trying to make it simple and just get lots of jeans shorts with pockets and i'm gonna add $ on my room key which will already have my ddp on it too. I am a summer person and am always at the beach so i got a small stick of sun screen for the face and i figured my phone and camera and thats all i would need all day..... does that sound about right? Am i missing anything? I haven't been to disney since 1980 so i know its gonna be quite different,,, thanks

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

I enjoyed reading your post because I can really feel how excited you are about going. Be excited. Be VERY excited! You're going to have a great time, and you seem as prepared as you can get.

I'm a man, so I won't even attempt to answer your questions about what to wear and so on. But I do want to make a quick comment on sunscreen. If you're wearing shorts and t-shirts then you should consider using sunscreen for your exposed arms and legs and not just for your face. I know you're a beach person, but by the time of your mid-October trip it may have been two months since you were last here (I live down the shore). So not only is your skin fairer than it was in summer, you're traveling a thousand miles closer to the equator ... the sun is stronger down there and the sun will be out for a little longer that time of year there than it will be here.

Better safe than sorry. Don't underestimate the power of the Florida sun. You're going to have a blast at Disney World, don't let very preventable sunburn get in the way of that! :-)

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

I took a crossbag with me but found after the first week it was making one shoulder really achey, so I swapped it for a mini-backpack which was way more comfortable. Small enough to hold the essentials and be easily stored away for rides.

As for dress, we went in September and it was really humid, so it was shorts & vests every day with a light cardigan to cover my shoulders if the sun was too strong or to hold over my head when the rain came down. Footwear was trainers most days. I wore some new ballet pumps/plimsolls one day, which gave me blisters from hell so my husband bought some minnie mouse flip flops in one of the shops in the park because I couldn't walk anymore! So good plan with breaking the new shoes in - make sure they're good for walking 6-8 hours solid! In the evenings I wore trainers again if we were in the parks, or small heels if we were just going for dinner/shopping. It gets hot, and sticky. Those are the things to keep in mind when choosing certain fabrics.

I'm going this December so my list of must-dos is probably quite Christmassy, but here's my disney world bucket list :) http://mrschristmasblog.com/?p=243

pa
Level Contributor
54,497 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

I agree about the sunscreen, use it, all over, not just your face

What to wear ? Whatever you are comfortable in, shorts and T-Shirts will be fine most day and night but have a hoodie/sweater/lite jacket for the evenings if you are going to be inside ( for Dinner or whatever ) because some places have the AC blasting and it can be a tad chilly

Put those new shoes/sneakers on right now and really break them in, bring along an extra pair of well worn footwear and some flip flops as too, will be good to have options

A cross body bag ? Yes, good idea. I use a Messenger Bag, works well

Don't forget your swimsuit :):)

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

minkoir.....Looked at your to do list.....I had a lil laugh....I love Tower of Terror and that's one ride I keep telling my mom she has to ride too!! :-)

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

She doesn't like "wooshy rides" like coasters, so I'm trying to convince her that it doesn't "woosh" like a coaster it's more of a scream-then-laugh-hysterically kind of ride.

She's not buying it.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
782 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

Tower of terror is on our list. Or should I say his list. I'm still a little nervous about this ride. As for the sun. You guys are right, I will be closer to the sun. I have been still sneaking in some AC beach days. Was gonna head down today but a lil Leary of the incoming storms. I will be "fake" tanning once a week to keep this base tan. I don't want to burn at all. But now with it said about getting sun maybe some tank tops would be good too. Lol. I'm just so worried we might miss something. We want to do as much as possible but also have some relaxing time too. I'm thinking about doing the not so scarey Halloween party Thursday night. I know the park closes 12 that night. But my plan for fri is to be back at the park before opening. I might burn us out within the first 24 hours. Lol. I just really want to spend fri in mk It's my b day and we have dinner res in crystal palace.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
22,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

We wear khakis or cotton slacks with T shirts during the day;we don't wear shorts since I fibnd sitting in other peoples sweat disgusting. Sundresses and sweater in the evening for a table service restaurant.We carry small backpacks with sunblock(use all over exposed skin),wallet,phone,keys,water bottle,tissues,chapstick,comb,ziplock bags(huge portions of food,we always have leftovers)tickets sunglasses,a few other items.So sticking a few things in a pocket is not an option. Have fun!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

I would never be able to fit everything I bring to the parks with me in my pockets, but I do find those square backpacks that cinch shut at the top to look like a triangle quite comfortable. I like to carry a windbreaker with me for chilly evenings or quick rain showers. I think disfan covered everything else to carry!

Unless you are planning to dine somewhere really fancy I wouldn't bother with dress shoes. Flip flops are fine in the majority of places. Break those shoes in now, I made the mistake of wearing a new pair of the same sneakers I had for years before to Disneyland last year and I was hobbling around like a fool. Had to wear flip flops the rest of the trip!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

Forget new shoes - just take the most comfortable footwear you have. Don't worry a fig about style in the parks - no one will look or care.

They will be too busy hobbling around in their uncomfortable shoes. From experience, sore blistered feet are no fun ...

so I would add band aids or plasters as we call them in the uk to your list.

I always use a little back pack in the parks - one that has a draw string top.

Park Clothing - cool and comfortable tee shirts, shorts and a baseball cap. At night - light dress, capri or cotton trousers and a little cardi, air con can be a bit blowy.

Happy packing!

10. Re: 4 weeks to go..... now i'm full of questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:17