We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

Hello

Planning a two week break August 2014 family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children 8 & 5). We are totally set on doing Disney, so I'm looking for encouragement that we can do Orlando without Disney! I was thinking of maybe spending a few days in Orlando, as we would really like to do SeaWorld and maybe University, and then heading out to Clearwater or St Petes for a week. We don't really like the hustle and bustle of parks, and have done Disneyland Paris 3 times when the kids were younger.

Has anyone else done this, any tips?

thanks!

bridlington
Level Contributor
724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

I couln't imagine doing Orlando and not doing Disney IMO, we tried it once thought we'd seen enough but when we arrived we missed going so have always done disney. My daughter did Paris a few years ago then I got her to Orlando last year and shes hook although she wasn't keen on Paris which is why it took me so long to convince her to come to Orlando

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

We are here at the moment and are having a totally park free holiday - read my TR 'Disney free TR part 1'. Would recommend a stay in Clearwater we were there yesterday and it is a fantastic place to visit/stay. We have done multi-centre holidays here in the past and spent a week there. It is possible to come to Orlando and not do Disney. Get out and see the real Florida it has so much to offer IMHO!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

thanks for your responses - and I just noticed several spelling mistakes in my original post!!! ha ha, obviously it was meant to say 'Universal' not University!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

JMHO but Universal is better suited to older kids. Many of the top attractions have height restrictions that the five year old may not meet:

https:/…Ride-Height-Requirements.aspx

Our youngest has never enjoyed thrill rides but it would have been rough if her brother had been able to ride so many things she couldn't.

The attractions at Universal also tend to be more intense (scary) than those at SeaWorld or Disney.

Have you considered Legoland?

Edited: 12 September 2013, 13:59
Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

I didn't even realise there was a Legoland in Florida! Will definitely check this out!

I was thinking Universal because my kids love Shrek, Cat in the Hat etc. We are not big thrill seekers anyway, so not attracted to the big rides as such.

Thanks

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

Disney has 4 parks, not just the Magic Kingdom.

There are other things to do. What are your interests?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

It's entirely up to you, you don't have to go to Disney just because your going to Orlando. I've been several times to Orlando without visiting the mouse.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

Shrek is at Universal Studios and Seuss Landing is at Universal's Islands of Adventure so maybe a one day/two parks ticket would work. If you won't be doing the headliners I would think you could cover both Universal parks in a day.

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

Were off to florida in 37 days and we aint doing magic kingdom or epcot but doing the rest of the disney parks.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando but not necessarily Disney?!

We haven't done Disney the last couple of times we've been to Orlando apart from DTD, spent our time in the Universal parks and then a spell on the gulf coast.