We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to skip Disney??

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy to skip Disney??

Hi,

We are headed to Orlando in October from Alaska as a side trip from a family wedding in S. Georgia. We figure we are flying all that way, so we may as well do the theme parks while we are there. We arrive mid-day on a Sunday and leave Thursday morning so have 3.5 days. I know that isn't enough, but it is all we could manage.

My kids (all boys, 9, 7, & 5) have studied the websites for months. After much thought we booked a room at the Hard Rock Universal (got a great deal). The kids are much, much more interested in Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure than Disney. The 2 older ones meet the height restrictions for all the rides they want to do and have ridden big coasters before at a theme park on the west coast. The youngest is a huge Transformer/ Superhero fan so is thrilled at the thought of seeing those things.

They are not big Disney fans, don't want to meet any of the Disney characters, are not really interested in shows (although I know they have never seen anything the caliber of a Disney show- I have been to Disneyland & Disneyworld myself before I had kids).

The only Disney park they showed any real interest in is the Animal Kingdom (have never been to a zoo, although we are planning on visiting Seattle next fall so would be able to take in the Woodland Park zoo there, which is awesome).

My plan was to do 2 days at Universa/ IOA and then go over to Disney and hit the highlights with a 1 day Park Hopper. When I revealed this master plan, there was a ton of disappointment of not having a waterpark day. We have no waterparks around here & they have been to one in WA so they know how much they love them. They actually said, "We have to go to Disney instead of a waterpark?" I thought, "Are you serious- do we have to go to Disney?"

So, my long winded question is this - Are we completely crazy if we just do Universal and IOA and go to a Waterpark on day 3? Or, is it possible to do, say Wet & Wild on Sunday afternoon and still hit Disney?

I also want some time to enjoy Hard Rock, because it looks like a really cool hotel and it would be a shame to just sleep there. I also don't want the trip to be so rushed that we are not enjoying it.

Honestly, it would be way cheaper and easier to skip Disney and get the Universal/ Wet & Wild Pass and just hang out the whole time there, but I am wondering if we are crazy to skip Disney altogether on what will probably be our only trip to Orlando as a family.

Thanks for any insights! I really appreciate it!

grimsby
Level Contributor
618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Your not crazy many people go without visiting disney myself included my family much prefer universal to disney can recommend wet n wild to for the half day you are there you could spend time at hotel

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,187 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Not crazy at all, last Sept. we stayed at the Portofino for 6 nights, just did us/ioa/seaworld and wet n wild. We do like disney, but we do them separately (not enough time and too expensive to do both). With just 3 days I would do what the kids want us/ioa/wet n wild (although you'll have to be flexible with weather, I don't know when you're going). The hotels on site there are great and you should try to spend a little time at the pools there (you can also pool hop if you have time..lol).

Level Contributor
627 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Disney is amazing but with limited time I would do either universal or disney. As for a water park I think you may be able to add wet n wild to your universal ticket.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Thanks for the replies! I am starting to feel better! When I mentioned this to a few people, they acted like I had grown 3 heads, LOL, so I thought maybe I was crazy! I know the kids would love whatever we do, but since they know the options, I feel like we should go with what they are interested in, since it isn't exactly cheap! So, Wet & Wild is good? Reviews are mixed, but it is pretty darn conveniently close to Universal & pretty affordable when added on a package. My family really liked the raft ride/ multiperson rides when we visited the waterpark in the lower 48 last summer, so that is why Wet & Wild appealed to the kids. Thanks again!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,187 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

We loved wet n wild (it was our first time there, we went because it was included in our us/ioa ticket), wasn't sure what to expect, but it was clean, well run and great rides. I think you'll enjoy it :)

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Awesome! Thank you! This sounds much more relaxing and has a lot more potential of my husband not going completely crazy with us rushing from theme park to theme park, LOL (he is not a theme park guy and is only doing this for the kids). I think we will all enjoy the waterslides! My youngest is almost hyperventilating at he thought of meeting Optimus Prime & Bumblebee. I heard there are great photo ops/ meet & greet with these guys.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,486 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

It sounds like you have thought this out and have made a rational decision. Have fun on your trip.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

No you're not crazy. I just did 2 weeks & never set foot in a Disney park.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,344 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

A thought. You don't say which Sunday but most in October are the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party which would be a perfect opportunity not to have to skip Disney within your limited schedule. The party is from 7 to midnight but you can get in as early as 4. It's great fun that even a non Disney fan should appreciate the festive celebration of Halloween though, with respect, a 5, 7, and 9 year old aren't in a great position to say they don't like something they've never tried. True, Disney is not for everyone, but I imagine they very much would. This would leave 1 day at each Universal park and a water park day. With their ages, I think you'll find yourself through the theme parks at that pace with time to enjoy the hotel.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crazy to skip Disney??

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look into the Mickey Halloween party. I had never even thought of that. And, I understand what you are saying about not knowing about something they have never tried. I think they would love whatever we did- they really aren't the kind of kids to be given a fantastic vacation like this and complain! They realize this is a sacrifice for our family and my oldest has offered to have no Christmas gifts in order to make the trip (not going to hold him to that, but you get the idea). I know they would have a great time at Disney if that is what we ended up doing. I am a Disney fan myself, read Walt's autobiography and everything! I just am trying to cater to what they are most interested in with our limited time and started to think we might be trying to cram too much into a limited span of time. So, thanks again for all of the advice. I truly do appreciate it!