We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Back home, things I wished I knew before!

After a great time, I'm back home thinking of everything and thought of a few tips and my own thoughts on lots of things we think about before an Orlando trip. So here is my top 10 rundown. These will not be everyone's thoughts, so apologies, just putting it out there ;) Enjoy!

10. After A LOT of worrying about the flight, it was fantastic. No batteries exploded and no location detectors were needed, the Dreamliner was amazing from start to finish.

9. The reason I'm so happy in point 10 is that we upgraded to Premium a couple of weeks before. It was the best £200 I've ever spent. If you can afford it, DO IT!! Extra baggage, priority boarding, sparkling wine when you board, fantastic legroom, a menu with a choice of food, free newspaper/magazine, loads of inflight entertainment, amenity bag, great service, VIP lounge in Sanford...I could go on all day. Was great seeing the peasants walk through Premium on the way to economy *chuckles*

8. Thomson won't abandon you at the airport and make you fight for your theme park tickets. Actually someone be there to meet you the second you walk out of the airport who will then direct you to another rep or to the adjacent service centre. You will be told your transfer bus and given your theme park paperwork. Phew! I don't have to travel 20 miles to a random office!

7. You won't be the only ones not hiring a car, there shall be a bus full of all the people going for a break from the brakes! You'll also be surprised to find you are not the only childless couple in Orlando and in fact the whole holiday seems 90% adults and 10% kids.

6. You'll arrive at the hotel, ours was the Rosen Inn Pointe and find your email sent a couple of weeks ago did work and that you are in a nice quiet area, high floor and in touch with the outside world with a good wifi connection. Double phew!

5. The first time you go to use your pre topped up currency card. Hmmm. Omg, I'm going to be stuck in the US of A with no available money!! No you won't, it will work like a dream every time, no problems and will instantly show every transaction when you log on to the website. For the record we used Fairfx. But the first time you use it and your server goes bounding out to the kitchen with all your pennies you do wonder am I about to pay for the entire restaurant to go to the cinema/Disney/Miami/Hawaii (delete as appropriate to your card budget) but all is ok, they will be back shortly with a little "Thankyou :)" written on and a circle round the tip section. See below for the T debate.

4. Ok, the "restroom" discussion. I still have no idea why a country of such advanceness must insist on a 2ft gap under a public restroom door and why every convenience is low enough to the ground that you think you've gone back to primary school. But that's enough of that...

3. Ok, the big T. Tipping. Yes, I've read the many threads and I didn't start a single one I promise. Leaving a $1 pp daily for the maid, easy, just don't leave it in quarters as they will leave it with a little note. Paper rules all obviously. It quickly becomes a chore to work out 15/18% so you just leave 20% everytime as you're nice like that. There's never a Thankyou though as you never ever see your server after you have left your signed card receipt with tip written in. Never mind we were on first name terms, we're all friends. But all is forgiven as you've just eaten the loveliest meal ever, unless you've just been to Ponderosa then you will have just had your worst ever.

2. It's hot as hell, you'll sweat like a water fountain, your hair will take on a new whole dimension. It won't rain all the time!! There are even days without rain. Don't think about it. But when the storms start, be prepared. That was the loudest thunder I've EVER heard in my life!!

1. You'll have the most amazing time. Orlando really is the holiday of a lifetime. I loved every minute, as a couple with no kids we didn't do Disney, no matter, Universal and Seaworld will keep you very busy the rides and attractions are out of this world.

Can I go back again soon?!! 😄🇺🇸✈🍔☀⚡🍟🍸

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Laughing at the restroom comment :-)

p.s. I totally agree

Edited: 13 September 2013, 20:05
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

I REALLY enjoyed your post!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Nice TR glad you had a good time as for the restroom you need room to escape if your door gets stuck.

Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Love it :-) and totally agree with the restroom comment ;-)

Love the tip comment as you are on holiday, all is well with the world and a 20% tips is a great idea as we are all in a great mood in Orlando :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
796 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Brilliant post.

Really enjoyed reading this.:)

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

I love their restrooms. Except the ones in the I drive Outlets. They were rank.

Pleased you had an amazing time.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Lovely post, can we have more please?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

You certainly did a lot of unnecessary worrying lol

Glad you had a great holiday

Very informative TR especially for 1st timers

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

Not only is there a 2ft gap under the restroom door but there's also a 1" gap down the hinged edge - perfect for small, curious children to be able to stare at you whilst you're enthroned!

liverpool
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back home, things I wished I knew before!

loved it and all true great report