We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining plan is it worth it?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ccj
england
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
dining plan is it worth it?

Hi we are going to mickey mouse land in january with our 3 children 4,8,2 we think we are going to do the dining plan but are not 100% sure how it works, does it incolude breakfast , are you given a certain amount of meal vouchers , can you use more one day than the next we are staying at the yacht club

thanks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,428 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

You get "credits" instead of "meals" and this is how it works.

For the number of nights of your stay at a Disney resort, you get one table service credit, one counter service credit, and one snack credit for each person on the meal plan. So if you are staying 5 nights, you get 5 table service, 5 counter service, and 5 snacks per person.

Those credits can be used in any way or order you wish, but you cannot use a counter service for a character meal and such. Character meals must use table service and some of them take 2 credits at a time.

If you choose to use two table service credits on one day, that's fine. If you choose to use two counter service credits on one day, that's fine. There's no particurlar order they must be used in, but you only get some many of each, so be wise in your selections.

Concerning the table service as well, you should always...ALWAYS make reservations for these meals. Walkups rarely get into those restaurants because of demand...they fill up for the day. Yes, this is inconvenient, but if you call early enough, you'll get the times of day you want. Yes, you have to "be at a certain place at a certain time" which is why the meal plan isn't for everyone.

Also, the children's choices on the meal plan can be limited somewhat and they may wind up eating the same thing every day. If you don't want this, the meal plan may not be for you.

If you want flexibility in meal times, meal choices, or if your family doesn't eat lots of food each day, the meal plan may not be for you. I've heard the food courts also have some confusion about what items count as what part of the meal plan too, so be careful about this when purchasing items from the food courts for breakfast and such.

Consider all options before purchasing this plan, as it can be expensive for a full family. Happy planning!!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

I am not a huge fan of the Disney Dining Plan. If you choose it,you will have to make reservations for all the table meals,it is almost impossible to get reservations at the last minute so it robs you of a lot of spontaneity and locks you into having to be in a certain place at a certain time. How easy do you think that's going to be with small children?I also have found-and my family tried the plan once-that the amount of food was just WAY too much. We would never eat in two days what is on the plan in one day, Disney portions are enormous;we generally order appetizers or split an entree and get a salad and we sure don't get dessert every day normally. It's just an awful lot of food. At your hotel,you will have a fridge-with kids,I hve found it's much easier to get cereal and milk and juice for the room and eat breakfast there,pick out a few table service places and make your reservations before you leave and have dinner there,absolutely book at least one character meal and just fill in with some disney meals and some outside ones for other food. A lot of people like the convenience and feel they are saving money...but at what cost?

London
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Disney Plans save alot of money. That is where we spent all of our money was eating out.

A family we met spent $500 for their disney plan, we went out for a meal with them. Their bill was $150 alone for that meal.

Yes its a pain having to book a meal, but you would have to do that anyway if you wanted to go somewhere decent or fell free to wait an hour or so.

For the people that say its alot of food who cares how much food it is, you saved a fortune not to have to worry about eating everything. When i go again and i stay at disney ill will be doing the dinner plan.

CHEAPER AND LESS HASSLE

London
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Please how can it be expensive, you count up how much money you spend

1. Breakfast maybe $5 - $10 EAMAUC

2. In the parks $20 lunch

3. Resturant sit down $70

These prices are generous for 2 Adults and 1 Child.

Thats easily $100 a day, please tell me the dinner plan is cheaper than that.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Hello ccj,

Yes the dining plan is worth it if eating all your meals on Disney property as it saves you approximately 30 percent than if you were to purchase the meals seperately. Love the Beach and Yacht club! Enjoy!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Hi - We were in Disney at the end of January and were not on the meal plan but when we go back hopefully within the next two years we will use the plan. I do not think you would have to make all your reservations since you are going at a slower time except for your character meals.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

We love the meal plan. We save a ton of money, get to order whatever you want from the better restaurants. Won't ever go without it.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Sorry to hijack your post...but can all you dining plan experts tell me...

Do you have to purchase the plan for your whole party? For example, my 3 yr old will eat very litte, especially at a place like that, so it would not be worth it for her. And since it is based on credits, I am wondering if you can get one adult plan and split the credits up by using it for food court items and stuff you can split?

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Hello dance,

You must purchase the plan for your entire family. Children 3-9 is $10.99 a day which isn't too bad.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dining plan is it worth it?

Just reading all these post and no one says how much the dining plans are? I was searching on Disney and found no prices. I am going to disney for 5 days but only staying at disney for 2 of them. Do you have to stay on-site at disney the whole time or can you buy your tickets with the meal plan whether you stay at Disney or not? I'm not sure if the meal plan is for me but I would like to know the prices? can anyone help??

thanks