We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide where to stay!!

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide where to stay!!

Hello, had some great tips and info from here and now I need some help from you experts :)

We plan to visit Orlando in May 2014, for 17 days, we are a couple in our twenties, no kids. We intend to visit all the Disney parks and waterparks, both universal parks, discovery cove, seaworld and aquatica. We don't want a car, I don't want to deal with the stress of driving in another country, and I'll definitely want to "drink around the world" at Epcot ;)

The natural choice would be to stay at Disney, we can afford up to the Caribbean Beach Resort. However... we don't have kids so won't benefit from character breakfasts etc. Also, the last time I went was in 2000 and I was 12, I loved being on International Drive with everythin that's going on...shops...restaurants... mini golf etc. If we stay in Disney are we going to be stuck eating at disney restaurants (as theres lots of restaurants we want to eat in around Orlando), is it difficult to get to international drive from Disney? And what about the other parks, is a taxi affordable? Is there any hotels on International Drive with reliable and regular shuttle buses, we'd like to be able to come and go from the parks.

Is Disney still the best choice??

Thanks in advance

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

There is no stress in driving in and around Orlando. It opens up a whole new opportunity on your holidays with the freedom to come and go as you please and also brings into range attractions and visits you simply cannot do on public transport.

There *is* stress in relying on public transport which will dictate your holiday plans entirely.

Which bus?

What time?

Overcrowding.

Which stop is ours? Is this the right bus?

Waiting in 100 degree heat.

Taxi? How?

Can we change plans? Sorry, we cant we need to get bus back to hotel first.

Can we go to fort de Soto, St Augustine, airboat ride, NASA, shopping malls, wherever we please? Nope, bus doesnt go there.

Lets leave the park early... Sorry hotel shuttle is not for an hour.

Lets have a lie in and go to park later... Sorry, hotel shuttle leaves at 7.30am.

Believe me, I have 1000x the stress driving in Edinburgh compared to over here.

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

I knowwww... but I'm not the most confident driver, I've never driven an automatic, my car here is tiny compared to American cars... and it's all on the wrong side!! And what about drinking around the world at Epcot?? If I stay in a Disney hotel is there all that stress... are the buses not really regular??

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

First of all not all American cars are big, in fact a lot are exactly the same size as over here! You hire the size of car that you want!! You will quickly get used to driving on the "other side of the road" and driving an automatic is very easy. It is so much easier IMHO if you do have a car as it gives you the freedom to come and go as you please. I have never used buses in Orlando but have read all the many posts about them and some folk who were dead set against car hire, have said that they might think about hiring one if they go again. Having said all that, plenty of people do seem to cope well with public transport/hotel shuttles, it just wouldn't be for me.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

I'm off boozing tonight at Hoop Dee Doo and well within taxi distance of the location so on the odd occasion such as drinking around the world, its not a problem.

I wouldn't let the thought of going on the bevvy occasionally stop me from the multitude of benefits of car rental.

As it happens, for whatever reason (usually too tired) I never really drink much in Orlando anyway... occasional cold beer or glass of wine with only odd exceptions.

I suppose if you intend going out on IDrive every night on the razzle then you'd need to stay in that area. We prefer just to visit IDrive and stay further afield. Down in Celebration as it happens this time.

On that point, having a car also opens up a world of further (and in my view better) choices of accommodation.

Whatever happens I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

Hard choice, I would pick I-Drive if your not driving. You can get the Lynx's to Disney but it would be more walking distance to the entertainment on I-Drive.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

If you really dont want to drive consider Marriot Village in Lake Buena Vista. It has lots of places to eat within walking distance and is just outside the Disney 'gates.'

As others have said, if you can bite the bullet and hire a car it will make a big difference to the type of holiday you have.

BTW, I stayed at the Beach Club this year and was excited by the prospect of walking next door into Epcot for a few beers. However, I soon changed my mind when faced with paying $8 a pint.

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

Thanks for the info :) I know the public transport will be stressful, but I don't think it will be anything compared to the panic I will have driving a car!! We don't plan to be drinking every night, but we will want a few nice meals with wine etc. and drinking around the world has been how I have got my partner to agree to go to Disney! That and the promise of alot of steak. How long does it take to get to and from the parks with Lynx buses?? Read some conflicting reports. Will a Disney hotel be wasted on us as a couple with no kids??

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

Well to get to Disney from I-Drive it takes about 45+ minutes on the lynxes. But if your going to Uni, etc it will take even longer from Disney lynxes as you may have to change a few times (Not 100% sure check Scan60's bus post).

pa
Level Contributor
54,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

"Stuck eating at Disney" ??

There are many really lovely restaurants at Disney ( we prefer most over all the Chain Restaurants out and about in Orlando and on IDrive to be honest )

There is an Offer for Free Dining when you book a Disney Resort, pretty sweet Deal

You can of course go to other parks and restaurants, you can get transport to those with no trouble

All your Disney Transport would be included with a stay at a Disney Resort as well as your Transport from and back to the Airport ( MCO )

Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me decide where to stay!!

From I drive it takes about 30 minutes to get Disney depending on your location, about 15 minutes to universal, sea world and Aquatica are on I drive, Busch gardens runs a free bus from a couple of stops on idrive and it takes about 1 and 10 minutes.