We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day at the Beach worth it?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day at the Beach worth it?

We are going to Orlando shortly. We have been a few times over the last few years and always stay around the theme parks. Can anyone give me some advise on day trips to the beach. Are they very far away? Are they worth the trip? Where is the best place to go? We are staying on International Drive. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
International Drive
International Drive
4,404 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,410 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

There are loads of threads on here about beaches. You could try searching in the box above your post. We like Clearwater Beach which is on the Gulf Coast and about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive depending on traffic.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

Will you hire a car ? The worth it part is entirely up to you.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

You have beautiful beaches in Ireland, can't be beaten IMO, but of course the weather makes a difference in Florida. I wouldn't bother especially if you are not driving.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

I would recommend the Gulf Coast it is beautiful. makes a lovely change from the parks.

Assuming you have a car, I have never done this without one.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

You can be at Cocoa Beach or Jetty Park in Port Canaveral on the Atlantic side in a little over and hour from I-Drive. Its an easy drive straight across the Beachline (5280. The beaches in this area are not the pure white soft sugar sand of the gulf coast which is what most people prefer. The Atlantic side beach sand is courser and the waves are usually stronger on this side which is why you will see more surfers and boogie boards there. The gulf side as noted is a little further drive but very pretty beaches with more sea shells and great sunsets and usually calmer waters. I would do an overnight if possible if going to the gulf side.

Mentioned in this post
Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, FL
Jetty Park
Jetty Park
624 Reviews
Cape Canaveral, FL
Port Canaveral
Port Canaveral
254 Reviews
Port Canaveral, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

" Are they very far away?"

Approximately 1¼ hours to the east or 2 hours to the west (Gulf)

" Are they worth the trip?"

There is no correct answer. That is entirely up to you.

" Where is the best place to go?"

Here is a pretty good listing of the nearby beaches. orlandosentinel.com/travel/…4514450.story

Cardiff
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

If you love beaches then yes.

If its just a different day out you want then no. The reason - thats all there is - a beach. Theres very little in the way of resteraunts etc near the best beaches because the state wants to protect the area.

I might be wrong but I have visited Vero, Sebastian, Clearwater, Siesta Key, Cocoa and Daytona. They all have 2 things in common, very beautiful but very little adjacent to the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, FL
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

Only you know if its worth the visit - do you like beaches?

Will you have a car?

If not I wouldn't bother - as exploring Florida isn't something easily done on public transport

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

Clearwater is a beautifull beach and well worth a visi.

theyalso have a boat ride called the 'screamer' it was (might still be) the worlds largest speed boat. that's great fun but the real highlight is its highly likely you get wild dolphins jumping and playing in the wake that the boat creates. fantastic experience.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
12,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a day at the Beach worth it?

Agree with Bornwithwheels,re:the overnighter.Clearwater is awesome,and the water is lovely. Many moons ago,we drove there from Kissimmee area.and I didn't want to leave.We did do an overnight,even tho we were already booked into a Kissimmee hotel. It was sooo worth the extra money,IMO. I think the drive to and from would be a bit rushed.

It's really a beautiful area!

I was so relaxed and tired from swimming,and the sun..walkin the beach.

It will make a much nicer day,if you can relax,and have a dinner,then sleep there.

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL