We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

london
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

Can anyone please tell me if this ride is likely to cause motion sickness? I suffer from inner ear problems and there are lots of rides I cannot do. I cannot take roller coasters or anything that goes round and round or makes you dizzy. On the other hand I LOVE Soarin at Disney and go on that over and over with no after effects. I would love to try the Harry Potter ride but need to be sure it will not make me ill. Please advise.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

The only way you're gonna know is to try it. Some people suffer terrible motion sickness on it, some don't have a problem. It affects everyone differently. It doesn't go upside down and it's not spinny so you may be OK.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

OMG!! This ride made me SO, SO sick, it took 3 hours before I was feeling normal...it is a simulator with 3 D motion and the two just did me in!!

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

It is a ride that makes you feel funny when you gone off, I went on it the first time and felt funny however the next time and the time after that' and that well you get the idea I have no problems with it. My sister who hates all rides whatever they are loves forbidden journey so please try it but remember you might have to do it a couple of times to really enjoy it . Let us know how you get on if you take the journey

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
832 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

I don't count myself as having motion sickness but this ride hit me big time. I was feeling green around the gills for at least 2 hours after getting off. However, like others I seem to be more affected by simulator rides than I do big time coasters.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

If you are prone to problems then there is a good chance it may have you feeling funny. Even many who don't typically have issues with motion or thrill rides often feel some effect. Personally, I have no problems with roller coasters (yet!), but don't do well on spinning/centrifuge type rides and extreme motion simulators. I typically feel some dizziness or slightly ill immediately after though not enough to keep me off it. It's an amazing ride. And you won't know for sure unless you try it. The technology is that the row of seats is attached to a mechanical arm which is in turn mounted on a moving track. You are in a seated position with a roller coaster like restraint. The seat can and does tilt in all different directions as you move through the story which involves both props and video screens.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 15:32
london
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

Thank you for your replies. Considering I was very ill after going on the Toy Story ride where the cart moves around a lot perhaps I had better give Harry Potter a miss. If people that don't normally get motion sickness feel ill then I feel sure I would be affected. shame though.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

Real shame as this is fantastic ride. The motion is in all 3 planes but not at speed. As said above you will never know until you give it a go

New York
Level Contributor
460 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

My mom and sister both got sick on the ride. I am sitting out the ride next year when we go. Soarin does not bother me, but any motion simulator that has the seats move at the same time as the screen impacts me. Why don't you try taking motion sickness pills before you go and chew on mint gum (that should help a little) if you really want to try it.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

This ride does indeed go upside-down in real motion at one point and does a lot of spinning around, along with the "simulation" portion, so it's a combo of both real motion and simulation that probably makes most folks "feel funny" or be motion sick when they get off.

I'm not prone to motion sickness at all usually, but do admit I'm a little "wobbly on my feet and light-headed" whenever I first come off this ride. They never should have put steps right at the exit point to have to navigate down right after getting off this ride; very bad design IMO.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Ride

I agree you're going to have to try it I'm afraid. It did make me feel sick but the ride was awesome so would definitely do it again!