We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O.K., I thought I was slick...

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
O.K., I thought I was slick...

I don't know why I never thought of this scheme before. If I had been doing this since the onset of the internet and selecting your seats on your flight at purchase, this may have worked a few times. But, Doh! I just thought of it a few weeks ago when we booked our trip, and in this day and age it is rare for a flight to fly much less than full.

On a plane that has 3 seats, and aisle, and 3 more seats, a pair of travellers could select the window and the aisle seat, leaving the middle seat, hoping a lone traveller would not later select that seat, giving the original couple all 3 seats to themselves. Genius!

Problem is it doesnt work. Now we have had stranger come between us, lol. Such a good plan. At least we tried. Im sure the stranger will switch with us and take the aisle, so we will be right where we would be if I had selected seats the "normal" way, :). I had been checking the seating chart often in the last few weeks, thinking I was really slick!

Has anyone else done this and it worked?

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

We did it last year EDI-EWR and while it was fine on the outbound on the inbound we had a nervous flyer that chirped like a budgie for an hour before I suggested he might like the aisle seat as we were heavy sleepers and it may save him clambering over me during the night lol! Best laid plans eh? X

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

Lol, " a stranger has come between us" I appreciate your thinking though, does seem a good idea. Not sure if I were that stranger, that I would have picked the seat unless it was the last one available. Never mind, as you say they'll probably swap.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

Just thought I'd check our flight in November and it seems someone has placed themselves smack bang in the middle of a row of three. So maybe he/she is trying to bag the full row.

ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
933 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

your not allowed to do that they only offer 2 middle or middle and window when you go into booking system unless some single person has got a weird seat (but would be unusual) single folk can only book certain seats. and this is true if going to check in and you cant book seat for one and have someone else on your booking. it only happens in rare cases im afraid so wouldn't work. the computer system will fox you, but if the check in agent knows its not full and your last to check in she might give you a row to yourself

Va
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

That is a common trick. I doubt the poor soul in the middle seat is thrilled, and will probably try to get their seat switched at the gate. Worst case when you are on the plane you offer to switch. Me personally if I were the middle seat person would offer to take the aisle knowing what you had done then happily sit in the middle seat to make you miserable.

ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
933 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

oh and if you did manage to fox system then you would be called on to change at gate, I know im a check in agent they will just change you if flights full sorry to be spoilsport

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

Selecting your seats online does NOT Guarantee that you will have those seats.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

Alan253...I've noticed that a few posters will mention not getting the seats they selected. This puzzles me...how does this happen? Is an explanation provided? Had a fee been paid for selection? We've always paid the required fee to select seats we prefer and only twice have we not been assigned those seats. On both occasions, we were called to desk at boarding and offered better seats if willing to change from 3 seater to 2 (at no extra charge).

Va
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

Mrsrad, Airlines do not guarantee your seats regardless of paying for them or not. They will shuffle the seats on the day of departure if needed to do things like keep families together and accommodate passengers with special needs. They usually keep a few rows open just in case, but when you have people doing things like the OP they will sometimes need to shuffle the puzzle.

I had an issue with Air Tran last time I travelled with them. Being a family of 4 with two small children I paid extra to sit together only to find that our seat had been changed when we got to the airport. After the flight I called air tran who made no apology, but did refund the $28 I paid for seats.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O.K., I thought I was slick...

I once selected the pilots seat, thinking I was really clever...

The problem being when the Captain expected me to fly the plane;-);-)

Someone always spoils my plans.....lol.....