We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR days 1-4

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
TR days 1-4

Ok been meaning to post this when I had some downtime. I have been to Orlando 10+ times but my girlfriend has never been to the States so very excited to show her everything.

Day 1 - Me and my girlfriend both aged 28 arrived direct into MCO from LGW with BA on 15 September at about 3.30. Was fairly frustrated to be met with an hour queue to get through passport control after a near 9 hour flight. Doesn't help that a Virgin flight arrives at exactly the same time. At least bags are then waiting for you. Got bus to Sixt depot. Didn't have to wait for bus and no queue at the depot. Fairly straightforward to get the car although I was assigned a car rather than just being able to pick. We went for the economy option and declined the offer of upgrade. We were assigned a Toyota Yaris which was quite small compared to the Hyundai Accent used as an example on the website. Was a very basic model (no electric windows) but didn't think to complain as wasn't too worried about the car really. Fired up my own personal Tom Tom with US maps and headed for Hilton Grand Vacation Suites on International Drive. We had a 1 bed apartment which was amazing. We then headed out to Walmart on Turkey Lake Road for some supplies stopping at Dennys on the way for a bite to eat . Spent about $100 dollars on supplies for the 2 weeks, mostly breakfast bits and drinks. I thought we might get over to the Premium Outlets on Vineland Avenue which is next to our hotel but we were too tired and in bed by about 10am.

Day 2 - I woke up ridiculously early and tried to snooze until about 6am when I finally gave up. Made some American pancakes for breakfast and then headed to Cocoa Beach. Had a look round Ron Jon and had lunch nearby at Taco Bell. My girlfriend fainted coming off the beach, we had only been on there for about an hour but it was pretty hot and maybe a mix of the heat and dehydration was too much. Got back quite early and popped into the outlets near our hotel. 20 minute storm whilst we were in a shop. We headed back and went to Downtown Disney. Had dinner at T-Rex, this place is crazy! Great place to eat if you have kids and we enjoyed it anyway. Realised there is a nail in the tyre so e-mailed Sixt customer services about what to do.

Day 3 - Spent the entire day at Universal. Got in at about 9.30 and went for Despicable Me. It said queue was 30 mins. I was a bit frustrated with myself because thought maybe we should have gone further into the park for quicker queue times. Shouldn't have worried cos the queue only took 20 mins and then just walked onto HRRR, Twister, The Mummy and Transformers. Can't remember exactly order of what we did but we got on every ride and did every show (barring Shrek) and we didn't really wait at all all day. Managed to time the Beetlejuice quite well because there was a storm during the show. Had lunch from Krusty Burger and ate in Moe's Tavern which was amazing for me as I love the Simpsons. At about 6.30ish we went to Bob Marley for dinner and headed back for the Cinematic Spectacular. We left Shrek because we wanted to leave enough time to eat dinner and get back. We'll be back here later for HHN so will pick it up that day. Very happy with our day's accomplishments!

Day 4 - Got to Sea World for rope drop and headed to Antarctica. We were at the front of the queue. We did the wild ride which I thought was a bit pointless, just throws you around a bit. Loved the penguins though. Fed the sea lions and then walked onto Kracken. Did the dolphin, shamu and shows. Then it started to rain, we sheltered for a bit but it was luncthime so we made a dash for the shark encounter restaurant. It was quite expensive but a step up from the fast food outlets. After lunch we did the shark encounter, turtle trek, Manta and Clyde & seamore show and then headed off because it was still raining. Went to Sixt depot to exchange the car because I was worried about the tyre. Exchanged no problem and got a much better car - a Nissan Versa. This was a 5 door and had a few more mod-cons. Much happier with this car, was more like what I thought I would get. In the evening went to Pointe Orlando - Hooters for dinner and then went to the cinema.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR days 1-4

Just realised I posted on my girlfriends account. Whoops.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR days 1-4

Haha, sure she won't mind. Sounds like you are having a ball of a time. Lack of queues sound great to me, noticed it on a few other TRs the last few days. Hope they stay like that till we arrive in a couple of weeks time. You are definitely fitting everything in perfectly.

Look forward to reading more TRs from you :)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR days 1-4

Lovely review, full of fun stuff. Your poor girlfriend, guess it was the heat, dehydration and excitement all thrown in. Can do that sometimes if your not used to it.

Looking forward to more posts....

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TR days 1-4

Sorry about your GF - that must have been scary. Enjoyed reading about all the good times you're having, and how fast you are having them - thanks for sharing :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR days 1-4

Sounds like a great time so far....besides your GF not feeling too good at the beacj. Hope she is all good now :-)

Look forward to reading more & good news about the car!!

UK
Level Contributor
336 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR days 1-4

Great Trip report.

Hope your GF is feeling better now :)

7. Re: TR days 1-4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:20