We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Hi Folks,

I spend alot of time here prior to my trip to the USA with friends you guys were helpful as I lurked the forums gathering tips and hints so if I can return the favour to anyone that would be great, and I just returned to the UK from 2 full weeks in Orlando. Staying near seaworld as our base and using Shuttles for everything (which I was nervous about) but they worked perfect for us.

Things we covered.

All Disney Parks

Universal

Island of Adventure

Horror nights at Universal

Kennedy Space Centre

Busch Gardens

Seaworld

Aquatica

General I Drive shopping etc

Universal Citywalk

Feel free to ask, I can't always instantly reply but I will when I can, hopefully this will help me recover from missing everything great about Orlando.

PS

Had quite possibly the best time of my life.. done and seen so much it was unreal. Met some great people, couldn't believe how friendly and welcoming everyone was.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
381 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Glad u had a fab holiday :) did u have any night's out in either city walk or dtd if so which did u prefer?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

So, anything you would do different, knowing what you now know?

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Thanks, yes we did nights out at both and we personally preferred City Walk just as we are all 20's age group, and there is more interesting things to do near and around universal at night that DTD for us. You have cinemas/restaurants and nightclubs to keep you entertained.

In regards to doing things differently. I think we had most thing planned out quite well, based on advice from people who had went and alot of internet research. The desk at the Fairfield inn was tremendously helpful with advice on times and shuttles etc. I personally wouldn't really change much, though I underestimated how much money I'd burn through per day.

I think I may have been better off with getting the Meal Plan Deals at the parks which we didn't use, probably carry some additional clothes due to the rapidly changing weather, which caught us out. One day it rained all day, thunderstorm would just sit above Orlando for the whole day. That was chaotic.

However the day after every park was empty, cause people thought it would rain it didn't, and all rides had 0 queue times. Bonus!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 16:14
Brighton
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Welcome home! How much money do you think you spent as a daily average? I'm trying to figure this bit out at the moment. We're staying at a Hilton, no meals included.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Thanks,

This is the ultimate question I think, one I tried hard to get an answer to from everyone I knew that had been and for everyone there is a different answer.

Now considering I only need to provide for myself, and my friends pay for themselves. We don't have small kids to consider, and we had free breakfast, shuttles to most locations. We had around a average burn rate of around $55 a day per person. This was mostly food and drinks (including tips) being purchased in the parks, and other small fees etc

This did not include general shopping which is separate, we tended to complete the parks rides, then do a shopping and shows day afterwards. So these days we spend more.

Again this is going to depend entirely on your own circumstances.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 17:38
Brighton
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

That's really helpful thank you :) no kids to consider for us either. That's a little less than I was expecting so that's good news! Cheers

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

No worries, glad to help, if there is anything else you can ask here, or just add me on trip advisor.

south wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Glad you had a great time :)

We are staying at the fairfield @ seaworld too we arrive 19th November and it's our 1st time in Florida .

I have been toying with the idea of getting a meal deal pass as will be myself , husband and daughter we will definitely be making use of the buffet breakfast too :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I fly out tomorrow morning!

You mentioned the rain one day, I've looked at the weather forecast and it isn't looking too good, I guess it's still warm though, right? I've only packed summer clothes! Does it shower most days?

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
381 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time in USA - Spent 2 Weeks! Please ask anything.

Thanks for the info on dtd and cw, can't wait.