We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

My first ever trip report!

Myself (26) and my boyfriend (28) are staying at the Rosen Inn International. This is his first time in America. I have been a few times before (including once to Orlando) but the last time was 11 years ago!

Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

We began our first day at 6am when a taxi picked us up to take us to Glasgow Airport. We decided to fly with United Airlines via Newark as this was our cheapest option.

Flight was great with a good choice of films to watch and connecting to another flight was very simple.

Landed at orlando airport and as we had already been through customs in Newark, all we had to do was collect our luggage. My boyfriends case was first off, shortly followed by mine!

We have not hired a car for our two weeks stay. We had purchased a Lynx bus pass online (for $16 each for a week I think) which was posted out to us before leaving.

Now to find the Lynx bus terminal! To my surprise and delight this was really easy! We waited for the number 42 bus which took about half an hour to arrive.

We had very little idea about where we were going to get off this bus! The driver though was very helpful and asked if all of us (the tourists!) knew where we were going! I knew we had to get off at the big entertainment McDonalds on International drive. I was very happy and relieved to hear that there were two other people on the bus who had been shopping that day and were staying at our hotel!

So we pass many McDonalds on the way and then we drive by a very big, well lit McDonalds, without the driver hinting to stop. I tell myself not to be silly and these other two passengers must know the correct stop. Oh dear!!! We are quite a bit down International drive when the driver tells us to get off as this is our hotel...the Rosen Centre Hotel! He had misunderstood the other passengers! (To be honest I wished were were staying at this hotel as it looked beautiful!)

We got off the bus and into a taxi to take us to the correct hotel. By this time we had been up over 20 hours and were absolutely shattered! The taxi driver asked for $20 which I knew was probably far too much for the little distance we had gone but by this point we just wanted to get checked in to our hotel, get something to eat, and get to bed! I definitely learned a lesson today to trust my own instincts!

We got all checked in and had a quick, half hearted unpack of our suitcases. Because we were so tired we grabbed a quick bite to eat at McDonalds, taking it back to our room with us. We were in bed by ten o'clock and asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Glad you made it safe. Little mistakes usually happen early on in a trip. Something amazing will happen later on to make up for bus/taxi snafu, it always does. You are so lucky to get to travel so far, for so long at such a young age. Have a blast!

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Have a great time!

Something always goes wrong when you're tired, tomorrow is a new day and you are in the best place.

bridlington
Level Contributor
722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Im sure the rest of your stay will be incredable, I've stayed at this hotel 6 times and used the Lynx many times

Have a great time

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

How annoying, but at least you're here now. Have a great trip!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Really long travel day and glad to hear you handled the bus/taxi thing well - Welcome to the USA and am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip...!!!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

Oh Bless! What a shocker your taxi driver took advantage. Don't let that put you off American people, they are fabulous usually and so helpful. Tomorrow is another day and you will have a great day.

7. Re: TR Day 1 - A loooong day travelling!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:19