We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i need your help please

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
i need your help please

I was planning to travel to Florida in April 2014 however my situation has changed and I have a choice to make.

We planned to stay in a disney hotel for about 10 days take advantage of the dining plan, then switch to a universal hotel for 4 days, however this was going to cost £6500ish including tickets and we just cant manage this in April.

We can get a cheaper holiday if we stay in ID or we can wait and do our ideal holiday in july. I would love to hear your thoughts on this and the pros and cons of staying at a non Disney hotel.

I really want to go in April but if its going to be significantly better to wait I will.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i need your help please

We have never stayed on Disney,and don't think we ever will .

Have stayed on I drive and loved it.

Suppose it's down to what you want from a Disney holiday.

I would imagine July would be busier ,but with this new fast pass plus ,it may be ok for you.

Good luck with your choice.

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i need your help please

Thank you. I think the main reason to stay onsite for me is the ease of transport and extra magic hours.

How do you find getting around?

Edited: 12 October 2013, 20:58
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i need your help please

"I would love to hear your thoughts on this and the pros and cons of staying at a non Disney hotel. "

Pro: Your transportation problems (to & within Disney parks only) are solved.

Con: Possibly higher room rates. Minimal opportunity to dine at all other non-Disney restaurants. You are a "captive diner" so to speak. Disney has some very good restaurants, but probably higher in price than "outside".

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: i need your help please

If you book the Current Free Dining Offer there isn't any need to even think about restaurant prices, order and eat whatever you want

When comparing off site hotels be sure to add in £ for meals, transportation and hotel fees

July isn't awful, hot and busy yes but manageable for sure

April is Spring Break and Easter, will be more £ and just as crowded

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i need your help please

"I really want to go in April but if its going to be significantly better to wait I will."

April weather will be sooo much better than July. (I've lived here 26+ years).

Cheshire
Level Contributor
812 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: i need your help please

Hi

Its all down to your budget at the end of the day. The problem with the Disney Dining plan from the UK is that you have to purchase the 7/14 day Disney Ticket(same price) to qualify. ID has suited me for many years and if I am going to Disney my ticket from Undercover Tourist is the best option for me. I stay in the hotels near Downtown Disney on Hotel Plaza Boulevard. They run an adequate bus shuttle service from the hotels serving all parks every 30 mins as well as water parks. After 5/6 days we go to ID for the rest of our holiday. More restaurants, easier to get to Universal and Seaworld and better for your wallet. Its a big expense for any family and as someone who likes good value for money, just cannot see it at any Disney Resort. Not for me. On the other hand many people will not go anywhere other than Disney. Personal choice and the size of your budget. April is nice at the parks and the weather is good. The cost of getting from the UK in any of the school holidays is more than it should be, holiday companies just take advantage. Whatever you decide I.m sure it will be right for you and your family.

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i need your help please

Thank you everyone. I guess I want to go in April and would love to stay at Disney but can't do both. School holiday prices are shameful, so much more...

If there is a shuttle I'm happy to do that. Also worried about the weather in July. Tough decision though the savings are great.

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: i need your help please

And though the Disney dining plan is tempting, the more I think about it the more I think we are not huge eaters and might not actually save...along with being locked in to Disney only

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: i need your help please

Personally I think spring weather in Orlando is glorious, and summer is just way too hot and humid. Note: I am not a fan of heat and humidity and if down in Florida that time would do mostly water rather than theme parks. These are nice, but not the reason to go to Orlando. It's the world class theme parks you're down there to do. We usually stay offsite and find that very economical. Note though that I wouldn't personally do offsite without a car. There are a lot of people that manage with the buses on ID, but I've never even tried that (seems like too big a hassle to me). // Just me, but I would go a shorter stay in April even if it were only 1/2 as long as I could do in July to stay in budget. // But for me, a huge part of the trip appeal is wonderful weather / loving being outside.

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i need your help please

Hi Kathy, I too hate heat and humidity unless in a pool!

I've not considered going for a shorter stay, would 10 days be a worthwhile amount of time?

A car is probably out as we like to have a beer or two ...