We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

This is the first time I have written a trip report so hopefully it's of interest to some people.

There is myself and my OH ( who is to become my DH whilst in Orlando) and our DS who is 3 (almost 4)

This is my 4th visit to Orlando but our first time taking DS abroad or on a plane even.

MONDAY 23 September

We had stayed at the premier inn at newcastle airport the previous evening so had an easy walk over to airport. Checked in ok and felt happier once we had gotten rid of the baggage as worried we would be overweight as we were taking the buggy/stroller and car seat for our DS.

We have booked a package this year with thomson holidays as we did not want to travel the extra distance to Manchester and there is not a huge choice from the north east.

When we went through security the machine beeped when DS went through so the security officer held out his arms to show DS what to do so he could frisk him, instead DS thought he wanted a cuddle and ran up and gave him one!!!

Flight was a first choice aircraft operated by Thomsons. Flight took off on time and and was uneventful, plenty of leg room even with the man in front reclining his chair for the whole flight.

Had packed DS bag full of toys for on the plane and wrapped them up and this kept him amused. Tv on flight had very little choice for preschoolers so he played games on my kindle ect.

He never once said are we nearly there yet and it was so much less stressful than I had expected.

managed to get him to sleep for an hour and a half so then he was able to stay up later when we got there. He managed to 9pm american time.

Landed at Sanford on time and very quickly off the plane and through immigration. We then headed over to the alamo car hire office ( booked midsize suv through Alamobrits)

OH went to look at choice of cars ( he wanted a Ford escape from the reviews on here but they didn't have any) so he chose a Jeep patriot. It was pouring down at this point and we were soaked to the skin by the time we packed as the luggage in the car.

We have never hired a car before in Orlando so I was a bit nervous about it before we went (oh just kept saying "how come all them other 1000s of people manage,why won't we" ) and even arriving in the torrential rain we managed to get to our hotel by seaworld no problem in about an hour.

We stayed at the springhill suites at seaworld, lovely hotel ( have posted separate review),

It poured down all evening so just stayed in and unpacked.

DAY 2

We were all up by 5am the next morning so not too bad. Always feel so excited that first morning.

We had booked to get married through gettingmarriedinflorida.com so we had our pre wedding meeting this morning. All finished there by about 10:15 so headed back to hotel and got shuttle over to seaworld. It was really overcast today but very warm still.

We didn't take the buggy for DS into seaworld and after an couple of hours DS said he was tired and wanted to go back to hotel. We would of had an hour wait for hotel shuttle so hopped on I ride back to hotel. After this we didn't even use the hotel shuttles we just paid to park at the theme parks and always took the buggy in with us. The $12-15 we paid was worth it for the convenience of being able to leave when we wanted to.

Had to take DS out in the car eventually to get him to sleep ( he doesn't nap at home but had a sleep most days whilst on holiday) so drove up I drive to OH favourite store Bass pro shops.

Called at Tgi Friday's for our meal tonight. Had 2 course special which was $12. Total for the 3 of us $46 Inc tips.

Back at hotel we went in the pool, DS thought it was very exciting to be swimming in the dark. Started to pour down so called it a night.

Scotland
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Great start to your holiday!

Will keep an eye out for your other reports as we're taking our son next year who will be nearly 3 at the time (never been in plane before either) so will be interesting to hear how you get on with the parks and specific rides etc.

Enjoy yourselves x

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,310 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Well done with the driving you should be proud!!

I like your TR next please

London
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Awww......DS giving the security man a cuddle, that's sooo cute :o))

And glad your OH decided to tackle the driving, it's so much easier and you can just please yourself.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Sounds like a good start to your holiday, apart from the rain.

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn, just next to your hotel for the first 5 night of our hols in two weeks time

Looking forward to your next TR

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Great TR and your son giving security man a cuddle - cute

London
Level Contributor
968 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Great report.

We are also taking our almost 3 year old and our baby DD, so I will follow your reports with interest.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

A great start I think. So cute with your son and the security man.....I do hope the security man thought so too :-)

Looking forward to hearing more..especially about your wedding....how lovely to get married in Florida!!!

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Great TR, also lime the part where your son gave a cuddle. Glad the wedding meeting went well, roll on the big day!

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

Great TR - loved the bit where your son gave the security guard a cuddle! Looking forward to more especially the wedding one :-)

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR day 1. Travels with a 3 year old.

I cracked up when I read about the security man teaching your DS to "assume the position". What,no cuddle for US immigration?You never know how kids are going to behave on planes;I always tell people on this forum that you just do the best you can and if the kids fuss,oh well. Its not like we enjoy it when our kids throw a tantrum on a plane and you sound like you were well prepared.