We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fairfx card and tipping

Uk
Level Contributor
306 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
fairfx card and tipping

I got a fairfx card this year, not used one before. The last two nights we have eaten out and given the card to the server and asked them to take the tip on the card. They bring back a receipt and ask me to right on how much I want to tip, which I do and sign it. However when I check my balance only the price of the meal has been debited and not the tip????. Can we not tip on that card, has anyone else ha d an issue or are we doing something wrong

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fairfx card and tipping

I'm not sure what is happening with the tipping problem but on another forum there have been a few posts about the Fairfx card being cloned and money being taken from the account. Can I suggest you keep a keen eye on your balance. this only seems to have happened when the card has been used for shop purchases and in restraunts. Some people have suggested just withdrawing cash from the ATM and paying cash.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fairfx card and tipping

We signed the slip, tip never came off, I was checking balance daily as we didn't want a balance left at end of trip, if he goes for tip now , he will be out of luck.

Uk
Level Contributor
306 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fairfx card and tipping

Thanks it's not just us then. Think ilk take some cash for tipping in future

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,815 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fairfx card and tipping

We always tip by cash

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fairfx card and tipping

I've used my Fairfx card and credit card for tipping, and what normally happens is they authorise your card for the amount of the meal, then when you add the tip to the slip, they then complete the payment including the tip, so when it actually shows as complete on your statement, it should be for the full amount including the tip. I've never had a problem with it, the tip has always been added

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fairfx card and tipping

Same thing happened to us in August, we'd run out of cash so asked for tip to go on card. Only the meal cost debited. We always tipped in cash after that

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fairfx card and tipping

That's strange. and I'm glad you posted here. I used a CaxtonFX card to pay for a meal and when the bill came I added a generous tip then totaled the bottom line. To this date only the price of the meal has been taken.

I am disappointed as we had a great time at that restaurant and the service was fantastic with both the waiter and the guy who kept our water topped up. Because both had engaged with us and had some good conversation during the evening I gave a little extra cash tip to both as we left which they could declare if the wished. I'm glad I did but am disappointed the whole tip did not go through.

It's my understanding that this is the correct procedure as the final transaction has yet to be completed when you sign the cheque and that is why if you are not adding a tip by this method you score through the tip and fill in the total as the bill total.

David

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fairfx card and tipping

I wonder if the server or the restaurant is out the tip in this scenario. Usually at the end of shift you add up your CC tips and take that amount in cash out of your total. This way you make sure your "till", cash and CCs add up to your total bills less the tips. Some restaurants total your CC tips for you and pay you the next day or weekly but the ones I have worked in never held the tips until the payment cleared.

David you are correct in your statement about the way the bill is processed. I generally tip cash because in the long run cash is worth more to the server.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fairfx card and tipping

tinker_bell is correct. The final charge will include the tip.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 01:04
10. Re: fairfx card and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:17