We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

We want to take our kids to Disney world for the first time (actually it will also be a first time for my husband) the kids are aged 6 and 9 (And we will have a very young baby with us as well- under 6 months). We are trying to figure out when would be a good time to go, especially since we are on a tight budget. Traveling to Orlando by car from NC.

The two options we have are going in January (probably arriving on the 2nd), or in February (arriving around the 27th). Is it worth it to splurge on a Disney resort?

would love any recommendations or suggestions!

pa
Level Contributor
53,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

Welcome to the forum

I would opt for the 27th of February, weather will be better ( January can be downright cold ) plus there are lots of closures and rehabs in January

Staying at a Disney Resort for a First Visit ( any visit really ) makes it all more Magical, the Kids will Love it. There are two Deals right now, up to 35% off room discounts OR Stay, Play & Dine. Check them both out and compare which would save the most

www.wdwinfo.com/discounts.html

Get quote direct from Disney at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com or an Official Disney Travel Agent such as AAA, if you are a member or on line at www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Suggested Resorts

Value - Pop Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3173085

Deluxe - Wilderness Lodge www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111366

All the Resorts have all the extra Benefits that only Resort Guests can take advantage of, like Extra Magic Hours, Free Parking, wonderful heated pools and so much more

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

on Jan 2nd, WDW is still going to be busy with the holiday vacation crowd. You may be a littl emore relaxed in Feb. It still has a chance to be somewhat chilly down there during those months. You will also see some ride closures for referb, since it's the off season, but the crowd levels are going to be wonderful.

If you can swing a Disney resort, yes, it will probably be worth it for the kids. Even if you wanted to stay at a value resort because of a tight budget, they will love it. They are wall to wall kid sensory overload. Art of Animation has fantastic decorations all around. With a baby, I'm pretty sure they will let you sleep 4 plus a crib. It will be a tight space though.

You could bump up to a moderate like Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans. I'm pretty sure they are going to be under $200 a night that time of the year. Port Orleans is well liked in the forums and Caribbean Beach has a fun theme.

With a Disney resort, you get perks like Magic Bands with Fastpass+, free transportaion, the possibility of free dining packages and the resorts are nice with usually very nice people working there. They really go out of their way to make your stay great.

Off-site hotels can be cheaper, but then you may have bad service, bad rooms, bad transportation. Then again, maybe you won't. It can be a crap shoot.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

I found this book very helpful when I was planning our (myself, hubby and 9 year old son) first trip this past June:

http://www.amazon.ca/Unofficial-Guide-Walt-Disney-World/dp/1628090006/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378844902&sr=1-2&keywords=guide+disney

Just want to mention that I live in Quebec, Canada and our school break is the first week of March and I've heard it can be quite crowded with Canadians.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

You won't qualify for any Disney discounts with a January 2 arrival - the current promotions start on January 5 so your February dates may be cheaper. See: buildabettermousetrip.com/…promotions

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

Thanks everyone! all of your advice is very helpful!

Edited: 24 October 2013, 22:07
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

We went down in February a couple of years ago as the weather was absolutely perfect!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

We went down in February a couple of years ago as the weather was absolutely perfect!

8. Re: Trying to plan our first Disney vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18