We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got Back. Trip Report

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Just got Back. Trip Report

We (family of four with two boys 11 and 14) just returned form Orlando Saturday night after 8 days and 9 nights. We used a friend's time share points for a week at the Hilton Seaworld and I tacked on two extra nights. The days went like this:

Friday- Islands of Adventure full day. 9AM to 8PM open to close. Did Forbidden Journey first thing (wow!) and again later as singles.

Saturday - Magic Kingdom full day. 9AM to 1AM with a three hour break mid day to change hotel rooms (see above). Did TONS after the sun went down.

Sunday - Animal Kingdom 9AM to 5PM open to close. Our biggest pleasant surprise. Everest and Lion King not to be missed. Did Everest a second time 10 minutes to door close and just walked on. Get those Safari FastPasses right away.

Monday - Hollywood Studios 9AM to 5PM with a "hop" to Epcot till 9PM. Did Toy Story first thing. Grabbed 4 FastPasses on the way in and they were sold out by the time our ride ended. Could have skipped Epcot (although I found time for my only beer there) but Spaceship Earth is quite good.

Tuesday - Universal Studios 9ish to about 7. Biggest surprise: The Simpson's ride. None of us care for the show but the ride was great. I was slogging it because picked up a stomach bug which I blamed on the fish and chips at Epcot, but friends at home tell me it might be the water. We drank bottled but did have a couple of glasses of the tap water here and there.

Wednesday - Blizzard Beach 9ish to 5. In theory our rest day. About 8 cars in the lot when we got there after opening. The temperature dropped to the high 70s this day so the locals stayed home and it was just us cold water Canadians and our UK cousins. A great day.

Thursday - Kennedy Space Centre. I am an old school Apollo fan but the way the Atlantis shuttle is presented is a definite WOW. Met with Astronaut Jerry Ross and had a nice conversation.

Friday - Magic Kingdom 11 - 4 and "hopped" to Hollywood Studios until about 7. DW's turn for the stomach bug (the boys had milder forms) so we were moving very slowly. A good idea to escape long lines on a hot day is Mickey's Philharmagic. Stitch is unbelievably bad. Had our fill of MK by this time (I think there's more "Magic" in California) . Back at HS did the Great Movie Ride and repeats of Star Tours.

A quick note to Floridians working for a living in Orlando. We were overwhelmed by the sincere friendliness and kindness everywhere we went. Not just in the theme parks, but in restaurants and even toll booths (a smiling "good morning" at a toll booth? Really?).

All in all a very full trip and I am happy to answer any questions.

texas
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

laughed out loud at the blizzard beach comment about Canadians and uk cousins ....soooo right...we don't fear the cold hahah

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Nice report....quick and to the point. No restaurants mentioned. Was that because of the stomach bug? I was surprised that you found the Magic Kingdom better in California. We found it just the opposite; kind of a smaller more disappointing version of Florida.

Glad you enoyed yourselves....now you can brace yourself for the winter ahead! Fun! lol.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Thanks folks.

I think my MK comments are based on two things. First, the boys were younger when we went to California so the appeal of Fantasyland, for example, was greater then, with many of Disney's original attractions (Casey Jr train etc) and more of a sense of initial wonder. Much of Fantasyland is under construction at MK and the boys say they have outgrown it anyway.

And second, we just felt a greater push for revenue earning here. More shops and food stalls (so it seemed). In Calif. the castle has a neat walk through. In MK it has a restaurant. Anyway, little details, although the people were great.

As for restaurants, we had breakfasts in the suite, packed lunches, and came back for dinners (or grabbed that ill fated fish and chips). We stopped at TGIFridays on the way home from Kennedy and were chatted up nicely by the server there. A mistake was made on a meal and the staff and management were tripping over each other trying to fix it quickly.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Sounds like a very full and rewarding trip.....minus the tummy bugs!!

Thanks for sharing and for your honest opinions. Much appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Wow u managed to fit alot in, in just over a week bet u need another holiday!

UK
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

we are just back too and went to Blizzard Beach, it wa great, the longest we waiting was about 10 mins but most the time we could walk right on the rides!!

sounds like you had a busy time!!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Yes, Nigel, we were on the go. The first two days especially. Loved it but the next vacation will be a beach somehwere. Anywhere.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

Enjoyed reading your report - too bad about the stomach thing, just different things / bugs, I think than what you're used to at home? who knows. I would have been one of those people (as I'm from further South, haha) who stayed away from Blizzard Beach - lol - or was some of the water heated? I definitely agree with you about the friendliness - everywhere, even at the toll booths! Thanks for sharing your trip :)

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got Back. Trip Report

You actually can drink the water in Orlando :).