We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

South West
Level Contributor
267 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Hi All,

I am visiting Orlando soon. Planning to drive from Orlando down to the everglades and onto Miami. I realise its quite a drive, i have a few questions hopefully someone can help with.

I would like to rent a car, for around 2-3days from Orlando, that i can leave in Miami....then again a few days later rent from Miami and drop in Orlando. Ive done a little research and found about toll roads etc. As its my first time driving, i want as least worry as possible so would like to pay for car hire...and not worry about passing tolls etc, ie an "All in, drive where you want" price!!??

Is this possible? Just pay a company in orlando for 2days car hire and fees then drop in Miami? Hoping to pick up at a quiet time to adjust to driving on the "wrong side of the road" for me!

Thanks all..

PS .. are most rentals automatic?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
470 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Why don;t you go on line and just hire one? Yes most [if not all] are automatic.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 09:58
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,083 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Avoid Dollar/Thrifty and Sunshine rental car companies, their Sunpass rates are among the highest in the industry. All rentals in the US will be automatic.

South West
Level Contributor
267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

THanks for the info i just wondered if any one had any recommendations for companies to use who may have done similar.

Ill go do some more research and take your comments on board. Im unsure how much is Expensive and whats normal for the Sunpass rates so this should help.

Thanks

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Rental car Sunpass Rates: www.sunpass.com

They are all different. Sunpass will list many of them, Most major car companies are online and you can get a quote. You will have to buy additional insurance on the car not being a US resident.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

I've used Avis for years and always been happy with them. But, companies like Hertz and Dollar are fine too. I have rented cars in Orlando dropped them off in Miami (and visa-verse) with Avis, but it's been a few years.

As to the price of cars, you can look into it yourself on-line and price things out. I usually find the first price I get when looking at the company sites is not the lowest, and with a little digging I can sometimes get a better deal. You can check Orbitz, or through the Auto Club or your airline's site to see about those. Be careful about the terms of the final rate you get. I've gotten caught where I had so many rate floating around in my browser I picked one that had a per-mile charge on it.

The biggest thing to try and watch out for is making sure that you really have an "all-in" price as you say. Unfortunately the rental car companies are infamous for coming up with things you "must have", at an extra fee, when you get here. And, those extras can hugely inflate the price you pay. If you show up at the counter with a confused "this is my first time doing this" look on your face, they'll smell blood in the water. Many would not consider the rental car companies reputable. But, they are what they are.

South West
Level Contributor
267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

THanks for all this info, is helping a great deal.

Looking around i see that as you say (as is the same with all rentals) they like to have the hidden extras! I would try and find a complete price if i can but it might not be that easy. As im not a US resident it appears as stated above i will need extra insurance which is something not always quoted in the price. Then i want to get the right fuel option etc!

I even see one site charging for radio on a daily basis?!!

Time to get comparing!

Thanks all

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Charge for a radio? Are you sure?

Look into keeping the same car rather than dropping it at Miami. It may cost the same or even less to keep it and return it back to Orlando.

There are no hidden fees. You must look at the contract and the final price before you sign and drive off. All charges will be listed on the paperwork.

Are you a UK resident?

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

The right fuel option: Pick it up full, bring it back full. You will get a full tank when you pick the car up. Do not get suckered about the "prepaying for fuel". There will always be fuel left in the tank. Fill the car up before you bring it back.

South West
Level Contributor
267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Hi hawkeyetough88 ,

Yes im a UK Resident.

Keeping the car isnt an option as we are leaving Miami on a cruise ship im afraid.

Sorry it says pay for Sirius Radio satellite. I assume that a payable service for more channels etc?! Sorry never been to the USA!

Ref the Fuel, thats what i want to do surffishFLA but i saw a fuel option to buy a full tank and return empty. Dont think i want that. These sites dont seem to include or mention the sunpass either.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time driving,Orlando Miami,rental company advice please

Sirius is a subscription service. You can pick up over the air radio for nothing, but most of the over the air stuff in Orlando is crap. Miami at least has a 27/7 classic rock station.

Use the Sunpass website to compare transponder prices and look at a Turnpike map. The only cashless tolls are on the bottom part of the Turnpike. Look at the map to even see if you will need a transponder.