We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florida virgins - epcot

uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
florida virgins - epcot

Today we decided to go to blizzard beach for a few hours then on to epcot. As usual for us there were a few minor blips, no forgotten car keys, lost tickets or alarms not working but had decided to go to sizzler for breakfast so duly drove to the one nearest to us, pull into the car park to find the reataurant closed with a for lease sign outside - oh dear, guess we wont be eating there then.moff to ponderosa we go again lol.

Arrived at blizzard beach in probably the hottest weather weve had so far - lovely for me but not so great for hubby who has a few areas ontop of his head with less protection than some lol. Anyway he found a perch and settled down for a rest whilst me and the girls headed off to do some slides. Teamboat springs and runoff rapids were great fun but oh my god that walk up to the top was a killer. There is a chairlift but the wait time was 80mins. I was concerned that I would come home huge but im beginnig to think I may come home looking like a stick insect. Well I can always dream hey.

Got to epcot about 2pm and headed for test track to get a return time. As expected all the fast passes were long gone but luckily we got a return time or 70kins with the disabled pass. I do feel slightlyguilty walking past everyone when using this but I do know that without it we wouldn't even be able to access 20% of the rides. While we wiated for our return time, we queued for spaceship earth which was only 20mins and good fun then sat and had some lunch. Test track was fantastic, highly recommend. Had a wander round world showcase but it was absolutely packed and too much for our eldest so only saw mexico and china. What we did see was great and would love to back and see more.

We had a reservation atcoral reef restaurant at 5.40 so made our way over there. Had to wait 20mins for a table even with a reservation and must say I was dissapointed for the first time. We were sat right at the back and the tank windows were small so you could not really see the fish and the whole feeling of dining under the sea was not really there. Because our eldest is 10 they had us down as 3 adults and 1 child so we asked for another child menu. Server was abrupt and quite patronising but said he would get one. Well it never appeared so girls just shared the colouring in. Food took 45mins to arrive and was very pricey but nice. Waiter reappeared once to ask if we wanted dessert and was quite put out when we said no he then proceeded to remove our not quite finished drinks and slap the bill down on the table. Now I do apolovise if I was wrong but I most certainly did not leave a tip. So far I have tipped 20% at every meal so I am not just a tight brit lol.

Managed to get in a few other small rides then found a spot for illuminations. Oh wow, do NOT miss this. I loved it. Headed back to the car park where I had remembered exactly what lot and row I had parked in, but suprise suprise, we couldnt find the bloody car again lol. Just don't know how I manage it. Anyway I am now back in the room with a well deserved bottle of wine so please don't panic -we did find the car. Off to revisit universal and IOA tomorrow. I have learnt at least one thing and will NOT be wearing patterned underwear or white shorts and I will be expecting more damp areas

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Shame about the service at Coral Reef, but rather than just leaving without leaving a tip you really should have spoken to a manager and explained why you were not tipping. You, sadly, have just confirmed to the staff at Coral Reef what some servers think of the Brits & tipping.

Hope you get back to see the rest of EPCOT.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 08:20
Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,390 Reviews
Orlando, FL
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Hi diesel... Sounds like your having such a fab time... Glad you remembered about the white... You know whats!! Gok wan would be happy now.

I quite get the reason why you omitted the tip... And quite right too.. You cannot reward plain rudeness... Whether to inform the manager is a give or take situation for me.... It's embarrassing to complain and us Brits are not best at doing this.... So quite see why you didn't...

You aimed to hit the server direct in his pocket... Hopefully, he will have twigged that it was his fault and not blamed you for being british....

Only on two occassions in many trips to the us have we had a problem with bad service...... First time, we reacted same as you and the second time... Complained to the manager... I was mortally embarrassed but we had grounds to complain... The manager was really nice and apologetic giving us all free desserts.

London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Shame about your server - it's so difficult, agree can be hard to speak to the manager - it does feel easier just to get out asap sometimes…

Am looking forward to visiting epcot again!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Oh no, theres nothng worse than poor service at dinner, especially at an expensive restaurant too!! Silly server!!

Sounds like fun was had though :-)

Thanks for sharing.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: florida virgins - epcot

know what you mean about that stair climb, but 80mins wait for the chairlift is nuts. In aug nowhere near that time.

Some of the wait times you are seeing are more than we saw in August this year which I would expect is busier. At 2pm we would have walked on Spaceship, Mission space (green) etc. Soarin and TT are out of fastpasses so early, but that is not different from when we were there in 2010, so not FP+ impact.

Was going to look at eating in Living Seas Coral myself next time out as a change from China or mexico. Hopefully wont get same server!

Mentioned in this post
Soarin'
Soarin'
541 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,053 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Not to sound bolshie but who really gives a rats what the server thinks - he wasn't doing his job so doesn't deserve the tip

Maybe the OP didn't want to confront the manger - they are on holiday so why should they have the hassle - they will never see him again

The OP has tipped everywhere else

Reading the posts on here it would appear that tourists from the UK DO tip well and personally I don't think servers lump us all together as bad tippers - what about the French - they are notoriously bad tippers

Nice TR by the way

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: florida virgins - epcot

I don't understand why people don't complain if the service is bad. I'm bloody sure I would and do. I understand that the OP is never going to see them again but it will help out future diners if the server has been reported to the manager, hopefully the next person he serves will get better service.

Brits do have a bad rap in the US for being bad tippers that's just how it is. I'm not saying the OP falls into that category at all just saying that if you're not going to tip, tell the manager so he can put things right. Whenever we have complained the managers have always been very nice about it, no need to be embarrassed at all. Things will never improve if the management are unaware there is a problem.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,540 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: florida virgins - epcot

As I suggested in your post about the white pants and printed underwear, when going to a park where you may get wet just wear a bathing suit and a coverup, much more comfy :)

Agree with USL, if the waiter is like that to everyone and no one complains the manager won't ever know there's a problem.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 14:28
London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: florida virgins - epcot

I can understand why people don't complain. Takes effort/time and confidence. Not always readily available late at night/after a busy day or whole on holiday!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: florida virgins - epcot

Agree with both Susie and us ,really.

We should not feel paranoid about tipping etc,but if you are not going to tip ,maybe at least explain yourself.whats the worst that could happen?

Tbh,a lot of servers we have encountered ,have the kind of attitude that you experienced.

They want your tips ,but treat you like poop.

Good tars though ,keep them coming