We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

We are heading down next month before the Christmas rush. We're staying at Riverside and I'm just debating if we should rent a car or rely on transport. Booking for the week from home is the same as doing it for 2 nights so I don't want to wait till we get there. We've been there before, when our older son was about 6 but with a 17 and 3 year old the idea of coming and going when we like has an appeal... I believe that parking is free for resort guests (as I read on a forum post) so its sounding more interesting. Thoughts?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

We decided to rent a car for our upcoming trip. I just remembered from our last trip, we ended up spending a lot of time waiting for the bus (we stayed at Coronado Springs Resort). Parking is free since are staying at The Boardwalk and I like the flexibility of having our own transportation.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

Answered on the Orlando forum :)

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
635 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

If you have early breakfast booked at another resort it would be a good idea. However if you do not have anything scheduled early I think I would save the money. I personally like just being able to get on the bus and ride instead of driving with all the traffic when I have been at the Parks all day. My family always drives down so we do have a SUV but only use maybe once the entire trip.

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

I'm really torn on this one. We stayed at SSR and the total travel time by bus going from our front door to turnstile averaged 45 minutes. Disney themselves says buses come an average of 20 minutes apart and you should allow for an hour to travel between points on the bus network. I know with a car you can do this faster. Sometimes much faster and you always get a seat. But not driving and not paying for a car can be nice.

Personally I think I'd rather drive and save the time or better stay somewhere on the monorail.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 06:48
Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

If you don't have more than two meals reserved at another resort, this decision is based more on personality than practicality.

For me, one of the joys of a Disney vacation is not having to drive for a week. For others, leaving the driving to someone else for a week would be a nightmare and not a joy.

When I have a reservation for a meal at a different resort, I typically take a taxi rather than use Disney Transport because the travel time including transfers and waiting time could easily total one hour; in such cases, I'm happy to pay 10 or $12 for a 10-minute ride instead. But I don't do that that often, so it's not like I'm racking up more in taxi fare than the cost of a rental car.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

I'm with CleveRocks on this issue. Our family views not needing a car as one of the big benefits to staying on Disney property. In addition to the money saved by not renting a car, it also means that we don't have to worry about either bringing car seats and boosters from home or renting them in Orlando. Also, we typically don't do anything outside of Disney, so we don't feel "trapped" by not having a car.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

We pretty much always rent a car. We do not find Disney transportation-especially the buses-that wonderful and we like the convenience of being able to come and go as we please. Especially at the end of the day,its wonderful to have your car waiting for you instead of joining the long long lines of people waiting for the Disney resort transportation. And of course,then you can go to outside restaurants,stores and attractions. Parking is free at the parks for Disney guests. Renting a car in Orlando is very inexpensive and I highly recommend it

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

Having recently returned & for the first time using Disney buses (only for two trips as we always have a car). Not for us. We prefer the flexibility of having our "own" transport. Waiting for a bus, is just not for us.

I fully understand some folk wanting to have a holiday from driving, or like a drink, so don't drive, but for us, I'll stick with the car.

I would have hated to wait for a bus in the excessive heat/humidity in August..

The car is a big part of our holiday, as we like to go out to shop a little & visit other parks.

That said I'm no big fan of the American cars we hire........lol......

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

Since you are staying at Riverside, take advantage of the water taxi ride to DTD. If you were staying at Coronado Springs, renting a car would be a nice option since their food choices are limited.

10. Re: A rental car if staying in DIsney resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21