We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go?

Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go?

Hi everyone

I went to Florida for the first time in the summer - we spent 3 weeks there and did everything we wanted to do! We really thought it would be the only time we would go because being teachers (having to stick to holidays) once we have a family it just would not be possible financially. However we are thinking going back this summer!

The only problem is that I am worried that it may not live up to the last trip. We stayed at POR last time and this time we can only afford Art of Animation - I am excited about the theming but worried that being a value the buses may not be a regular - it was also our (late) honeymoon so everyone made a real fuss of us!

It really was the best trip of our life and I do miss being there! I think I was also very lucky and got all our dining reservations including BOG - can we be as lucky 2nd time round?!

Our plan for this time would be 5 nights Renaissance at Seaworld, then 3 nights Hard Rock then 12nights at AofA. We wouldn't hire a car or go to Busch gardens as went there before. We do want to go to Discovery Cove but not do the swim. We have been quoted with the dining plan as we thought it was good last time. We have been quoted about £6700 a moderate resort would take it up by another 2000 which would make it too much of a stretch for us!

Any thoughts?! I think I should stop worrying and enjoy it!

Oops long post!

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
London, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To go or not to go?

I think it's almost better the second time around. At least you know what you want to do, how to do it and where to go. Ok, you don't quite get the jaw-dropping moment as you enter a park, but it's not far off that still. My advice,for what it's worth.......Get it booked, you'll enjoy every second!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go or not to go?

Just a suggestion, couldn't you stay more days at the r/ sea world.... This would free up some cash... Then you maybe able to afford to upgrade your disney.... Don't worry, the magic is still there every time you visit....

For me, £6000 is an awful lot of money but then I'm a Yorkshire lass.....

Edited: 14 November 2013, 07:46
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To go or not to go?

Buses are just as regular at value resorts as at moderates or delux resorts.

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To go or not to go?

Go! Go! Go!

Give in to the peer pressure!

No, seriously... £6000 is a lot. But then we go outside of the school holidays. Last time, I believe that flights, villa, car hire and park tickets cost us about £1000 each, but this was October (last year) for two of us.

But, as for whether you'll enjoy it more this time round - I think you probably will. You know what's what, and where various things are and which rides are good or not. You can also probably do some parks you didn't do last time (if there are any) or relax around the parks more (if that's possible during school holidays) as you won't feel inclined to go on rides you know aren't really worth bothering with (Twister at US, I'm looking at you).

You can also do a few other things. A day at Downtown Disney may be good, followed by going to one of the Disney hotels around the lagoon for a drink on the beach and watching the fireworks over at MK. Take a bus or a taxi to the Florida Mall. Have a proper explore of Citywalk (something I keep meaning to do, but the Hulk always calls me...).

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To go or not to go?

We went for the first time this year and like you loved it. It was meant to be one off trip but already planning for 2015!

We're planning on doing a week onsite at moderate with hopefully free dining. Then 10 days off site.

Felt that free dining might soften blow of the cost of moderate hotel. Looking at costs for next year to get an idea for 2015 AOA was about £300 cheaper than POR. So with free dining POR seems like really good deal.

Think you're too late for free dining deal for 2014.

We think next time will be even better as I won't be so worried about flight and love being able to visualise everything. This time we just had no idea what to expect and were a bit overwhelmed at times.

Maybe if you enjoyed moderate hotel so much you should wait to get better deal for 2015?

Also we're looking at booking it all separately and have been keeping an eye on 2014 flight prices, saw direct flights Aug 13th -31st for £830 at the weekend, so price it all up independently and see how you get on.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 09:40
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go or not to go?

That is a lot of money but you know if you can afford it

Wouldn't worry about it not being as good second time round - I find every time is better than the last as you know your way around and can find new things to do and see

However if you don't want to drive that limits your adventure but if you are happy just to do the parks and money isn't an issue why not go for it

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To go or not to go?

We have stayed at all different resorts from all stars to wilderness lodge and have had a fantastic time wherever. We found one night at hard rock was fine, as we had two full days unlimited express passes which meant we did everything without rushing. We had the 14 day passes so went back for a day the following week for another day.

You can always take a trip to POR and have a drink or meal over there.

We weren't going next year but booked again last week!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To go or not to go?

I went a couple of times before getting married over there and felt special on the day and during our honeymoon.

Been back 3 times love it each time.

We dont spend much time at the hotel anyway

UK
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go or not to go?

GO GO GO GO GO!!!!! You will enjoy it

Level Contributor
1,081 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To go or not to go?

Personally I would say go for it while you are young but make it a bit different. Our aim for every single holiday is to some things we've not done before.

If you can get a car i'd consider getting out of orlando for a while. You have 3 weeks so the keys, Miami, Naples, Sarasota, Everglades etc are totally accessible for you.

I also agree maybe cut back your Disney stay by a few days to ease the budget.