We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel insurance options?

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best travel insurance options?

I have been looking for weeks for the best travel insurance policy - do any of you have any suggestions or can you recommend any?

I am travelling with Virgin Holidays so naturally looked at Virgin Insurance, which is actually quite reasonable. However I am worried that as we are going in early Feb if bad weather delays our flights that maybe we won't be covered.

Not necessarily looking for a 'cheap' deal as I know that may not cover everything so any help would be fab.

Thanks in advance!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel insurance options?

Do you have a bank account that charges a monthly fee as you may have worldwide travel insurance already and not know it? Surprising how many people have these accounts and are not aware that things like travel insurance are one of the benefits.

If you do need to look for insurance cover there are a number of companies that offer equal or better cover than travel agents at much more competitive rates.

You could try any of the following:

www.atlasdirect.co.uk/travel-insurance.asp

insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/travelhome.…

www.columbusdirect.com/travel-insurance/

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel insurance options?

Check out money supermarket.... For travel insurance and you get to choose whats suitable for you.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel insurance options?

Oooh thanks rocialle, however I did check with my bank and unfortunately no cover there :(

Thanks for your help!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel insurance options?

We always use Virgin Money insurance

Have never claimed so can't comment on the service

My priority is medical cover

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel insurance options?

Thanks Susie, that's what I've been looking at I believe. Needless to say we aim to never have to make a claim but just want to know that everything is covered.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best travel insurance options?

I've used Direct Line before, now it's part of our home insurance, but even before we took it out separately with them. We've made various claims with them, once for a delayed flight over 12 hours, and another when hubby hd to go to the hosptial. They paid up with no issues at all. I like using the annual trip cover as it covers us for weekends away too, home or abroad.

Dunedoo, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best travel insurance options?

I would probably use a comparison site. Some are really good as it gives you access to real customer reviews and they have lots of insurance providers to choose from. I have used the one below in the past and they have been particularly good

http://vacationsecure.com

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best travel insurance options?

Hi Daisy, I am in the same boat. I just posted a similar question in another forum with a cruise scheduled for next year. A recent article on Consumer Reports mentioned www.insuremytrip.com as the best, but I haven't tried it yet. Let me know how it works out!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12334-k7940983…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,177 posts
1,818 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best travel insurance options?

I notice this is an old post from last year.

Edited: 13 November 2014, 22:11
10. Re: Best travel insurance options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 05:15