We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

US
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

I am not sure where to stay. We only need a place for 3 nights. I want something very high nice with good things for the kids. I am thinking of The Hyatt Grand Cypress or JW Marriott but can use guidance. It seems both Cape Canaveral and Legoland are not close so is either going to be considerable closer. which hotel is better for boys ages 4,,6, and 8. Or are there any other hotels I am missing and not thinking of which have good amenities that will be better located. Also is Downtown Disney good for kids as I know the Hyattt is close to it.

I like good restaurants nearby which are kid friendly. Want excellent breakfast and prefer hotel with very good gym or within 10 minute drive or large outside gym with weights

grimsby
Level Contributor
618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

I presume you are driving ??? So go with the hotel you have chosen never stayed there personally but heard only good things as for dtd it is excellent for kids of there ages plenty to do

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

In September, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, which is very convenient to Disney, and a short car ride from both Sea World and Universal. From that hotel to the beaches at Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach, or to Kennedy Space Center, it is about a one hour drive via the Beachline Expressway. From the hotel to Legoland, it's a drive of about 55 minutes to an hour. I am assuming that you will have a car.

DTD is fun for families, but can get very crowded in the evenings, especially on Friday and Saturday, when the roads and parking can become very congested. It's easy to spend a whole evening or a half day there, browsing the shops (including a Lego store) and restaurants. Parking is free.

The J W Marriott is about 10 minutes closer to Cape Canaveral, but maybe 5 minutes farther from Legoland than the Hyatt. It is well located for Sea World and Universal, but not as close to Disney as the Hyatt.

Overall, the driving time to your proposed destinations is not much different from either hotel. The availability of restaurants nearby the Hyatt is very good. Given the location of the Marriott, the selection of restaurants is still good, but maybe at a slightly greater distance -- the hotel is well south on John Young Parkway.

The Hyatt has a complex of three pools and a small lake with boating, and the kids seemed to want to go to the pools every day. The Marriott also seems to have a nice pool complex, together with a lazy river, but having not stayed there, I can't specifically compare.

Given the pricing for either the Hyatt or the Marriott, you might want to also look at some on the on-site resorts at either Disney or Universal, if you are planning on going to either of those theme parks. The express passes at Universal and the Extra Magic Hours and Fastpass Plus privileges at Disney are only available to on-site guests and do enable you to see more in a day, but if you aren't doing those parks, there's less reason to stay on-site. I can't recall that any of the theme park resorts have a gym beyond the typical workout rooms, but I've only stayed at a few of them myself.

US
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

Thanks. We are not planning to go to Disney. We are arriving November 23. Will that significantly affect traffic around Downtown Disney.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

Of the two, perhaps Hyatt, as I personally feel the JW has a very strong adult vibe. What about Renaissance SeaWorld. It's very nice, you can walk across the street to SeaWorld, good breakfast though you have to pay $$$ for it, nice pool area including some slides for the kids, and gives you easy access to 528 for Cape Canaveral and I-4 to 27 for LegoLand. Not too much by way of restaurants immediately around though there are a few within 3-5 minutes and many on I-Drive just over 5 minutes drive. Not sure that's a big deal. I would be eating on the way back from LegoLand, in the port at Cape Canaveral, etc. Have never peaked in the gym I don't think - you'll do miles of walking at the parks. Downtown Disney is suitable for kids with a nice choice of restaurants, lots of shops, movies, bowling, etc. Only 3 nights with a park, 2 45 min - 1:15 minute day trips, enjoying the resort, working out, and Downtown Disney - I'm not sure you have enough time

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

Yes, meant to say, the drawback of Hyatt is that you have to go through a very high traffic area to get to it.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

Thanksgiving week will be very busy (we will be there in the crowds with you because that the only time our visitors can come down), and all the theme parks will be busy. As mentioned, highway 535 just north of I-4 and the nearby entrance to DTD (Hotel Plaza Drive and Buena Vista Drive) will be prone to traffic backups. At busy times, I avoid I-4 and instead use the parallel Palm Parkway and Turkey Lake Road to get to Sea World and Universal. SR 417 is a good alternative to get to Cape Canaveral when I-4 is busy.

Parking will also be a problem at DTD in the evenings. It will be more manageable during the day, when most people will be at the theme parks. The Hyatt and, I think, the Marriott both have shuttles to Disney.

As I said, the kids seemed to enjoy the Hyatt in September, and if pools are important, I don't think you can go wrong there, although we did miss having a lazy river. We had previously stayed at the Marriott World Center, which was not nearly as nice, but the J W Marriott is a much newer and more upscale Marriott, and is together with the Ritz Carlton, which is more of an adult hotel with an extensive spa.

Other large upscale hotels in the area include the Waldorf-Astoria and Peabody (soon to be a Hyatt), but neither have the level of pool facilities found at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress or the J W Marriott.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 15:22
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

My boys always enjoyed the Marriott Harbour Lake Resort. We get a two bedroom with living room, kitchen, washer and dryer, and screened in balcony. They have lots of kids activities. Two pools, one with pirate ship and smaller slides on it and another pool with a bigger water slide. It is located around the corner from SeaWorld. Easy access to I-4 and International Drive. Marriott Cypress Harbour is across the street from Harbour lake and it is also really nice with 2 bedrooms. It has things to do like a game room, ping pong, boat rentals, etc. The one thing that they didn't have was water slides. Sheraton Vistana Villages were also really nice and it was located farther down on International drive about half way between SeaWorld and Disney.

US
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

What Hotel would be better for day trips to Cape Canaveral, Legoland and Sea World. Marriott Harbor Lake or the JW Marriott.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

Both places are in the same general area, less than a mile from each other. The Harbour Lake complex is almost adjacent to Sea World, but the JWM is slightly more distant, maybe five minutes.

Other than that, it's really a wash. Harbour Lake is next to I-4, and thus is more convenient to Legoland by five minutes over an hour trip. The JWM is closer to the Beachline Expressway (SR 528), the route to Cape Canaveral, by about five minutes over almost an hour trip.

My sister always stays at the Marriott Cypress Harbour, across the street from Marriott Harbour Lake, and likes it (her son is in college). Keep in mind that these are timeshare resorts with multiple low-rise buildings in a campus environment, so the units can have multiple bedrooms, kitchens, etc., but some typical hotel services (like room service) are not available, or available at extra charge (housekeeping).

10. Re: Which hotel, Legoland, Sea World, Cape Canaveral with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17