We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thefts at Orlando?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Thefts at Orlando?

Looks like thefts are occurring from Orlando airport. We flew out from Gatwick on the 14th of November on the vs 15 flight with 4 bags. There was a mechanical fault with the hatch apparently and the flight was sent back to Manchester. Everyone's luggage was brought back the next day and there was a ridiculous operation put together to deliver every passengers bags. I received two on the Friday and one on the Saturday. My last bag which belongs to my little boy, who suffers with learning difficulties, has still not been found. Gatwick and Manchester have both checked and they have found that my bag was definitely on the plane. However, it wasn't scanned at Orlando. So, where is it? Virgin has advised the airport to check all areas, so hopefully it is somewhere there. I am hoping it fell of the crate and it was placed somewhere. If it isn't found, then I shall be getting the police involved because it may have been stolen. I paid a lot of money for those flights and this holiday. We have been here 6 days and my holiday has been completely ruined. They have stated that it could have been placed with another passenger with the same name, however these people haven't returned any messages since Friday which I think is odd. I will be asking virgin to send a rep there if they do not reply. This bag is very important to my little 3 year old boy and I will do everything until we know where it is. I am absolutely disgusted. Thanks a lot virgin, shows how brilliant your security is. Orlando airport obviously do not care much about security either, makes you feel very safe doesn't it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

The sad but true fact of the matter is that no one will really care about your bag. You will get a standard we're sorry letter/email but the airline will blame the airport and vice versa! That way blame is uncertain so no one has to pay. Your only route is your insurance. The best thing you can do is try to put it down to experience (I know that's easy to say!) until you get home and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you. I can imagine how frustrating it must be. I hope your boy's bag reappears.

This actually sounds a little more like a lost bag situation. You wonder how it could happen, but the airlines end up with mountains of lost bags every year. All the actual thefts I've ever seen on the news (they report them every few months) have been items pilfered out of bags. But, anything is possible.

You should definitely report this to the police. When they do find people stealing stuff it's always passenger reports that got the ball rolling.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

Hi Jenna.... It's a shame your entrance to the forum is marred with such a sad tale..... I really hope you locate the bag....

Bags do unfortunately, get lost and then turn up a few days later..... We lost one on the return trip from Dublin once... The bag ended up safely a week later....

It's too late, I know, but we always pack a few bits of clothing in each other's suitcase.... As a precaution now....

Please dont let it spoil your holiday..

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

I will be. Virgin have said numerous times they haven't got it in gatwick or Orlando. The delivery company have also said they didn't receive it but the world tracer says our bag was set up for delivery, despite Orlando stating they didn't receive it. Very weird! Now they are apparently searching the whole airport. I have been told so many things, I am absolutely gutted and want to go home really. We are expected to fork out for new clothes for my son and we did not budget for this in our spending money. We are lucky we have the Disney dining plan because I know the money will not last. My phone bill is over £250 because the customer service team expect you to wait around all day without any news. No one in their right mind could do that. They hardly ever update me and all they ever say is ' I understand' no they do not. I am covered in hives and having breathing problems, I cannot deal with this stress. Obviously, if it is not with the airport, then the delivery company could have taken the wrong bag. However, no one has come forward. I am hoping it is not stuck in a hotel store room somewhere. It could have been taken by a delivery driver, I really do not know. If I have to contact the police I will definitely point them in that direction too. It could not have gone far if it has been lost between the plane and the scanning area. It goes to show that someone may have had access to it before that process, which means a breach of security. I just hope Orlando have finally got off their bums and are looking properly. To see a 3 year old stressing is utterly heartbreaking. I understand that the problem with the plane did cause utter chaos but why out of 400 or so bags has only one gone missing? Also, to be told it could be anywhere in the world is also extremely worrying. However, no bag matches my description of the world tracing system and if it did show up in another country, they have assured me that it would have shown up straight away on the scanning system that is was in the wrong place. I hope so anyway. This is absolutely awful, I will never fly with virgin again! 2 and a half years of scrimping, saving and sacrificing. If it was my bag I wouldn't care so much. I feel like I've let my little boy down. I think I'm going to dread the flight home just incase they lose another. I'm going to have to start from scratch with my little boys clothing. His coat, every pair of trousers, jumpers and pjs he owns was on there. He has nothing apart from a few Disney tshirts and a couple of pairs of shorts from a discount shop, perfect for the weather at home. I am sincerely hoping it is found over the next day or so, then I can sleep.

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

Have you contacted your insurance provider? If you could get some reassurance that you'll eventually be compensated for this loss, then perhaps you could buy some replacement items and start to relax a little.

Very sorry to hear about your situation but please try to enjoy your holiday after all the planning and expense that it has incurred.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,856 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

Bags do go missing but invariably turn up

In the meantime please get in contact with your insurance company

I had a case go missing a few years ago between Heathrow and Singapore and my insurance told me to purchase anything I needed up to a certain amount - can't remember how much - and they reimbursed me

You can buy quite a lot of children's clothing cheaply at Walmart that will tide you over

Turned out my case never made it onto my flight but it was sent out on a later one

Try not to stress it just rubs off and makes everyone miserable - chin up and try and enjoy

the rest of your hols -:)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

Please try not to panic Jenna, I'm sure it will turn up......

You've done a really good job of logging your complaint - so you have no choice at the moment, but to let the airlines do the chasing up.....

Your little boy will pick up your stress, so for him - can't you carry on your days as planned.

Try and think more calmly..... And begin your holiday the best you can....

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

Great minds think alike, Susie!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,856 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

:-)) DV

Contrary to some people's opinion I can be nice and give good advice

Edited: 19 November 2013, 21:42
London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thefts at Orlando?

I'm trying to remain calm but the longer it goes on, the more hopeless it becomes. As for Walmart, they no longer do shorts as it's their winter season lol. It is a nightmare, thanks for everyone's advice though.