We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC suburbs
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

We are planning a one-week family vacation to Disney is late August 2014 before the kids (who will be 4 and 6) go back to school. My husband and I don't get much vacation time so we want to maximize the amount we are able to do. We are also traveling with my husband's parents, my brother-in-law, his wife, and their two kids. They are on a tighter budget, so we'll have to balance those concerns as well. Where do we even begin??? Should we do a dining plan or go a la carte? (My husband's parents aren't really "food people" but the rest of us adults are. We fully expect to split up on occasion.)

Help! Feeling overwhelmed!

pa
Level Contributor
53,910 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

Take a deep breath :)

There are of course many ways to go about planning a Disney Holiday, I Suggest deciding on exact dates ( keep in mind end of August usually has some nice room discounts or the Free Dining Offer, need to wait a bit for that announcement ) Then have a look at all the Resorts, they all have something fun to offer and enjoy.

If on a tight budget ( which can mean different $ amounts of course ) have a look at the Value Resort Pop Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105 if the budget can stretch a bit ( as I mentioned, there will be discounts ) have a look at The Moderate Resort Port Orleans Riverside www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3173085

I use www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com for many of our trips, they deal directly with Disney for you, all payments go directly to Disney, you can email or call your Agent at anytime if you have questions or concerns and they will continue to look for discounts for you. There is no fee for the service

Keep asking questions, you will get it all sorted out :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

If you have time to do some background reading, I would buy the Unofficial Guide to Walt Diseny World, which you can get from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other places. It is updated every year and has all kinds of useful information about all the WDW resorts, restaurants, amusement parks, water parks, etc.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

Are you a member of AAA? Their travel agents are well versed in Disney.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 07:46
Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,421 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

While the "Unofficial Guide" is a good resource, I find it overwhelming. For the quick basics, Birnbaum Guides Walt Disney World, is an excellent planning tool. It gives you the highlights of resorts, parks, schedules, attractions, dining venues, etc. Birnbaums is available at AAA for a discount, or any book seller.

A wonderful on-line resource is allears.net.

Happy planning!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

The biggest factor is where to stay

Are you hoping to all stay together? Like in a house? You can get some great one week deals and have your own pool, but would need a few rental vehicles to get back and forth to parks.

Or would you prefer separate hotel rooms? I would then suggest, if you are planning to do only Disney theme parks and water parks, to stay on site at Disney. There is free transportation provided from the airport to your hotel as well as to anywhere you wan to go in the "World" therefore you will not need a rental car unless you want one. Go for a Value or Moderate Resort to keep the costs down.

NYC suburbs
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

We plan to stay at a Disney resort. We figure this will maximize our experience, and allow us to easily go back to the hotel during the August midday heat, and head back to the parks later. I guess this means we'll need 3 rooms.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

I returned in April 2013 from a large family trip like that (11 of us) and we stayed at Pop in 3 rooms. Once we made our reservations, I called and got them "linked" and we asked for connecting rooms. We lucked out and they were able to give us our request. Pop worked out great. The rooms are small, but clean and you barely spend time in them anyway. The pool area was so fun for the kids. If budget allows, I would go for the Art of Animation value resort which is brand new and has a very cool pool and splash area.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,550 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

allears.net is fantastic for dining information. You can get an idea what meals are going to cost you to weigh whether you do the dining plan or not. It also has refurb/closure updates and a wealth of other information if you explore it a bit.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

Here is the link for All Ears:

http://allears.net/index.html

Here are a couple of other good websites:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/

http://www.wdwmagic.com/

10. Re: Best resources/tips/travel agents for Disneyworld?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:20