We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Scotland
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Hoping to get a day at the beach when we go next May to break the park madness up! Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere as on the maps there seem to be various options at various distances.

Really just want to take our little boy to the beach ideally for the morning, get some lunch there and head back. Staying in LBV and we'll have a car. Since we're probably only going to do a half day it would be ideal to be within an hour's drive however, if it's better to drive further we can change our plans.

Thanks in advance!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Closest beach would be Coco Beach, roughly an hour's driving time from the attractions via toll road 528, that is where we locals will go. However, the really nice beaches with fine white sand and blue blue waters would be in the Gulf of Mexico, my favorite being Siesta Key in the Sarasota area...that would be roughly a 2 hour drive from LBV along I-4 and I-75, non-toll roads.

Scotland
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Thanks for replying. Will have a think - plenty of time!

Was thinking better to do a day away at the weekend since the parks will be busier? Or are the beaches really busy too with locals making the most of their weekend time off and tourists having the same plan as us?!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,975 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

"Really just want to take our little boy to the beach ideally for the morning, get some lunch there and head back."

I agree with VisitOrlando in that Cocoa Beach would fit your time & distance requirements. Once there, Lori Wilson Park is a nice place to visit. beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/lori-wilson-park…

Scotland
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Thanks for the tip - appreciate it!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
866 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Gulf Coast beaches are way, way nicer.

You can get to Clearwater in 1.5 hours and Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island in an hour forty-five.

Might be worth considering.

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Another vote for Siesta Key, though it is a fair bit further. However, I do always recommend Clearwater Beach, about an hour and a half, as there is a fair bit to do so you could make a day of it. Aim to get there before lunch, have something to eat, go on the beach, maybe do one of the dolphin spotting excursions, perhaps the aquarium, and then see the sunset and the stalls on the pier.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

If you just want to do a day trip, go to Cocoa Beach and enjoy your time on the beach and not behind the wheel. If you decide to do an overnight trip, then I'd recommend Clearwater Beach. It's about an hour and a half or more from Orlando depending on traffic. Siesta Key would take you at least half an hour longer than Clearwater Beach - so would be at least a two hour drive.

Clearwater Beach has beautiful soft white sand beaches, restaurants right on the sand with views of the Gulf of Mexico and lovely sunset views, but you would enjoy it more if you made it an overnight trip.

Scotland
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - great info and a lot to consider. Starting to appreciate why people have said 2 weeks isn't enough time now!!!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

How about a 90 minute easy drive up the I4 to daytona beach.

Take towels and swimming costumes - maybe some drinks and snacks.

Park on the beach - sunbathe or swim for 3 or 4 hours.

Then a 30 minute (22 mile) drive down to JB's Fish Camp in New Smyrna Beach for a nice seafood meal before a 90 minute drive home again

http://jbsfishcamp.com/

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day at the Beach - any suggestions please?

Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach is the easiest day trip. And one thing it has that the Gulf doesn't is waves. It would be a shame to travel to the Gulf and not stay for the sunset. It'll be a longer day with more time in the car, and, if you stay late, effecting your next day. It's easy to head east and back for just part of the day if that's what you want. Yes May is probably the time that locals will start heading back to the beach. It would be more crowded on a weekend but there is plenty of sand for everyone. No reason to stay away on any specific day except based on weather.