We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never booking through travel agent again

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
740 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Never booking through travel agent again

I booked our flights through last minute a few weeks back, indirect from Dublin to Atlanta to Orlando with Delta, same on the way back. I booked economy comfort seats with Delta direct after the booking had gone through. Got an email from last minute on Friday saying the outbound flight had been changed - nothing major, just 40 minutes later leaving. (40 extra minutes in bed - wohoo!)

It occurred to me today that I should make sure our seats were still booked since it might be a different plane. Sure enough, it was different, the Boeing instead of the Airbus. We still had economy comfort seats but in a different row, which i went to change. Noticed at the top of the seating chart it said 'flight 1 of 5' - errr that can't be right there's only 4 flights surely? Apparently not, they had for some reason shifted the return flights from mco-atl-dub to mco-atl-jfk-dub and my economy comfort seats were gone!!!

Rang Delta who seemed very helpful at first until they realised it was a TA booking and told me I had to ring them, apprently I can only ring Delta about a TA booking if it's an emergency, like two hours before departure. Got onto last minute who first of all told me the flights hadn't been changed, then put me through to someone else who could see that they had. He said he would try get me on an alternative flight without the extra jfk leg and offered me one from Atlanta at 6.40pm arriving back 7.30am. I said 'that sounds familiar' sure enough, it was the same flight they had removed from my original itinerary!!! After a bit of faffing he said oh no that's gone (which I'm not 100% convinced of still) and offered me mco-jfk-dub but said he would need to contact Delta to see if they could still provide the economy comfort seats I'd paid for. I bloody hope so, because I spent ages making sure I was picking the right ones. (I doubt it though because looking at the seat map for that flight there's very few seats left).

I logged onto the Delta site again a few minutes ago (waiting on the guy from last minute to call me back) and they must be doing something because I'm now booked onto 4 different flights to and from New York all on the same day!! That'll be some feat to make all of them!!

Never ever booking through a third party again, it would have been worth the extra €100 it would have cost to book through Delta and only have one set of call centres to contact! Fingers crossed I can get it sorted (thankfully though it's on the way home and not the way over, otherwise I'd have been up the walls!!)

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

That's a rather sweeping indictment of (all) travel agents. There are good ones and there are poor ones. While I sympathize with your plight (and hope you get it resolved as soon as possible) all travel agents are not to blame.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

I never use travel agents, after a complete nightmare, yes I said the word, nightmare, through Virgin Holidays about 30 years ago, ever since then I have booked everything myself.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

Oh no! That's bad! I also find it easier to book direct, I hope it turns out ok got you!

Waterford,ireland
Level Contributor
283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

The TA I have dealt with in the past told me that Delta as well as other airlines have a habit of changing their flights and moving passengers. This happened me in the past but as he said it was the airline doing the changes - didn't make much difference but it does happen - hope it goes well for you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
740 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

You're right Vic, it is a generalisation. I meant it in the sense that I've always personally felt uneasy about booking something through a third party because I like to have as much control over this type of thing as possible. This was the first time I've used a TA for anything and in my head it's validated what I always suspected could go wrong. Messing about trying to ring three or four different places to get an issue resolved and being told different things.

I'm sure most people have little to no problem with TA bookings, I've just confirmed that they're not for me!! :D

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

I do hope you get it sorted, I bet you are kicking yourself. Best of luck

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

"I've just confirmed that they're not for me!! :D"

Fair enough! I am a serious planner and like to make all my arrangements myself too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

I haven't used a TA for many years, but did use lastminute for a short break last Feb- as they were cheaper than I could do it myself(that hasn't happened for Ages).

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

i use TA all the time.................. Trip Advisor i mean. Sorry, thats not funny..

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
814 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never booking through travel agent again

It may be a generalization, but it does seem airlines and hotels treat you differently if you book with a 3rd party. I had a problem last year with expedia and now only book directly myself.