We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bad start to a visit to MK

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A bad start to a visit to MK

Started badly, thought our Wishes Desert Party was tonight, so just to confirm I went on “my Disney Experience” to confirm. Then the bad news it was for last night.

I am bit too confident this holiday, not really planning anything just winging it, and so this was a good wake up call.

Decided to go to MK anyway, without checking crowd forecast., I new it was bad when it took three trams to stop before there was room for us to get on. This was at about 09:00, large lines for the monorail. Well it does us good to see our the other half live. We normally avoid busy times like the plague.

Thought we would pop in to Customer Service just on the of chance Disney would feel sorry for us and give us another chance @ The Desert Party. If you don’t ask you don’t get. Anyway good old Disney they found a place for us tonight at the Desert party.

A lot happier now, so went for a wander round, the place rides was packed, and the lines for the rides long (for us).

There seems to be a problem with Fast Pass as we wandered past Buzz Lightyear several times and the FP line was up to Laughter inc show. If the FP return is showing a time and the line looks like it will take several minutes to reach the entrance. This will cause other problem, as people will join the end of the line before their FP return time. I suppose its still testing and this is the first busy time during testing, so hopefully it will sort it self out.

The park was to busy for us, so we were going to leave for a while. So I thought I would have a Starbucks coffee. First they didn’t give me a AP discount, then they didn’t accept my phone app to pay. I have used a card before now, in the US but not my phone, to pay for the coffee (and collect rewards). Luckily I brought my card so will give that a go next time.

We left and went to the Florida Mall to visit the Apple store, as we have a problem with the iPad, My winging it continues as I didn’t make an appointment. However they did see us but we still will have to go back as we were running short of time. (I have made an appointment this time).

We was running late as we had to see a Desert Party manager at 18:00, and we left the Florida Mall with just over an hour to make the journey. The traffic was not to bad but to be safe, dropped wife off at the lost property place at the TTC while I went to park the car. She went ahead to sort out the Desert party while I caught up.

The place was still packed with same “problems” with FP and Buzz Lightyear.

I was a bit disappointed with the Desert Party after all that, don’t get me wrong, the food was fine and the view great. I think after all the time I have been trying a make a booking I had built it up. I would still recommend going to the party as it’s a calm and roomy place to watch the fireworks, with the added benefit of some tasty food.

Moral of story do a bit of planning, know which day it is, look at crowd forecast, and avoid busy times (if you can). Looking forward to next week when the crowds will have gone.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

Yup, it's the week of Thanksgiving. No school for anyone in the U.S. on Thursday and Friday. It's going to be packed all week.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

Hate the busy times too,we went for Xmas one year and got turned away at the parking booth,but they did give us a free parking voucher and a half price meal,,,thought that was a really nice touch ,and off we went to h.s,,which was rammed too :)))

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

November used to be a good time to go.

Drat !! guess when we are going next year ? yup, you guessed it November, but in the first 2 weeks.

Hope the rest of your holiday goes a little better.

ajg

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

Oh wow , Well You lost a Day , we arravied a Day to early at a hotel we had booked lol, but Got it al sorted , like You , enjoy the holiday

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

We hate crowds and try to avoid the busy seasons like the plague, but now one of my sons has married a teacher so we can only go during school breaks if we all want to go as a family. Ugh!

Hope things get better for you. My local weather station has said there are storms that are going to sweep across Florida including Orlando tomorrow and Thursday possibly. Don't know if this is true but you may want to buy a poncho!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

Thanks for the park info.

we were planning on visiting Epcot this Friday! As it's our first day in Orlando but now may change to universal instead, not that it will be any the less busier but it's just as we have 14 day passes so if we do miss rides - we still have the option of revisiting on quieter days. Whereas, we are only purchasing one day passes for Epcot and it would be a shame to miss out...

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,664 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

Best laid plans and all that.......

Wow parks sound chokka

Onwards and upwards lol

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

I don't need a crowd calendar to tell me Thanksgiving week will be crowded (kids are off thur and fri and parents take them out the rest of the week). We all have possibilities of storms on the east coast this week.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

All's well that ends well, you got to the party in the end! Crowds sound horrible though!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A bad start to a visit to MK

We arrive on Friday so hopefully all the Thanksgiving peeps will b*gger off home by Monday. princess no stoems next week, it's gonna be fab!!

Welshjock how much longer have you got there??