We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

Hi all,

We are off to florida in less then two weeks and trying to sort out the final schedule as we are only going for 7 days, what do people think about the space centre is it worth taking a day away from the theme parks to go there and would kids enjoy it I have a 9 year old and 8 year old.from what I have read it it would be a full day trip.

Many thanks

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

Only you know your family's interests; however, KSC is based upon reality, not fantasy. If your kids are old enough to understand some of the history and technology behind the stories, the they may appreciate the site where men left to go to the moon and the space shuttle was launched. The center and the adjacent Cape Canaveral AFS is still an active launch site -- there was a launch scheduled earlier tonight that had to be delayed, literally at the last second.

KSC can take anywhere from about 5 hours to a full day. I wouldn't bother to make the drive and pay the admission unless you have at least a half day to spend there, and I would try to arrive as soon after the 9 a.m. opening as possible (we are taking some guests over in the morning and plan to arrive at 9 a.m.).

You can see the launch pad gantries, drive past the huge VAB building, gaze upon the "Atlantis" space shuttle orbiter in its exhibit hall, inspect the command module of the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission of movie fame, and go to the rocket garden to see various space vehicles. The best rocket there (with its own separate exhibit) is the giant Saturn V, which was used for moon missions. There are also two IMAX movies, and many other exhibits, and even a few simulation rides. All of these are included in the admission price, and optional tours can be added. It's something like the science museum on steroids.

If your family is more into thrill rides or Harry Potter, you might be better off staying at Universal. Whatever you do, enjoy your Florida vacation!

Edited: 29 November 2013, 03:28
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,695 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

KSC is not a theme park. If your boys are interested in science & technology, they might be interested. You know them best.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

One of the best experiences I ever had as a kid. Still remember it now twenty years later. Brilliant place to visit.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

Are your children interested in space stuff if they are then yes as KSC is a brilliant experience

If they aren't then obviously it's not for them - so no

Edited: 29 November 2013, 09:19
London, UK
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

Thanks for all the info I have one son who is really intrested and one that isnt so much.

The info has been really helpfull

Have a lovely Friday :)

west wales
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

I was there a week ago today!!! Absolutely amazing!!! The Atlantis exhibit itself is so worth it. We arrived early and spent 31/2 hours just in Atlantis and only came out to have lunch before we did the launch pad tour which was so relevant to me as a child of the 60's!!! Loads of hands on things for your boys to enjoy. It was a highlight of our holiday.

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

We took our 9 year old last year and he was amazed the whole time. He kept asking if different exhibits had actually been to space and was in awe with the size of some rockets. We went when it first opened, spent half the day there and half the day at cocoa beach. It started to get busy when we left, but first thing in the morning, was pretty empty and could go see whatever we wanted. I went what I was a kid 25 years ago and still had memories of it. We are going back to Orlando next year and it's at the top of his list on places to go again. Fun for the young and old, I highly recommend for your boys especially.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

You have an opportunity to give your boys a learning experience that millions of other kids can only dream about. I hope you go.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

We went in July this year - husband's choice. Our daughters 18, 14 and 5 ( and myself ) had a ball. I was so surprised just how entertaining it was as none of us is really into science/space etc. We spent the whole day there and a minute was wasted. Saying that, we were in Orlando for 21 days so had plenty of park days.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kennedy space centre worth the hour drive with two boys

The last bus to the Apollo Launch pads leaves about 2 or 2.30 pm, so make sure you are there in time for it, we didn’t :-( Don’t miss the Atlantis exhibition it is worth the trip just for that.