We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

Maldegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

Hi

We're a Belgian family of 4 (2A, 2C) traveling the east coast next July 2014.

We start of in NYC and travel down to Orlando, where we will stay for 1 week.

would this be a crazy schedule?

Arrival Wednesday 23 July: no plans

Thursday 24 July + 25 July: Disney World (Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Park only)

26+27: Universal Studios

28: Space Kennedy Center + beach

29 July: Discovery Cove

30July: returning to Belgium in the afternoon.

We have 2 boys of 8 and 10 and they are not interested in shows/musicals

They love movies (ET, Harry Potter, Star Wars, disney movies,…), animals and water.

I read through some of the advice given on Disney and most advise to stay 1 week.

We have visited Disneyland Paris a couple of times and plan not to repeat the attractions we had there.

Good plan? or is 2 days absolutely not done?

any advice is welcome!

thanks, Maaike

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

Hi mamamaai.

Welcome to the TA forum.

On the day yuo arrive rfom NYC take it easy look around this place is huge.

I.O.A is a must do if your children like Harry Potter, also next door is Universal studios.

Kennedy Space Centre is a 1hr drive away from International drive but realy worth the journey. It can be a full day out your 2 boys and OH will love it all, so will you.

Disney land Paris is not in the same league as Disney World.

2 days is not enough. You realy need 2 days in each park but you could always do the things that you didn't get to do on your next holiday.

Have a great time, the local people are realy friendly, that's one of many reasond why we keep going back time after time.

ajg

Disney alone is 47 square miles and has no main entrance it is so vast. Disneuy even has it's own road network.

Magic kingdom is a must do the mono rail and water ferryid a greatway to see the castle before you venture down main street.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 21:27
Maldegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

hi Ajgloveflorida

Thanks for the info and advice.

2 days extra in Disney would mean less in Universal studios and IOA.

is 1 day enough there?

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

The general rule is one day, one park. I would make sure you got to the parks at opening or before in July because it gets busy. The Universal Parks and Disney Parks are about 10-15 miles apart. Sea World (Discovery Cove) is between the two, and Kennedy Space Center is on a barrier island about an hour east of Orlando.

Since you have a water park and a beach day built in to relax, it doesn't seem that rushed.

Maldegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

Thanks SurffishFLA.

it kind of reassures me...

I know we are rushing it, but we will have been travelling for 3 weeks and we cannot prolong our stay anymore.

If we want to see more, we'll have to come back :-)

as for the tickets for the parks: can you buy tickets for both universal and disney?

is this undercovertourist link ok?

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
360 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

I think your boys will love universal- it really catered to our boys' interests. It's all about the movies- superheroes, Transformers, Harry Potter, etc- my boys weren't interested in musicals or shows either. They did enjoy Shrek & Terminator - but those aren't traditional shows. I think your schedule sounds ok since you already would have adjusted to the time zone. The only thing I noticed was you mentioned your kids are into Star Wars & if I'm not mistaken the Star Wars stuff is at Disney Hollywood Studios? We haven't been there so am not sure, but if that is a big deal to them, it might factor into your park choice (unless that is one of the Paris attractions you are skipping). Hope you have a great trip!

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

Universal you can buy and print directly online through them. I'm not sure the specifics of the Disney tickets anymore. Lots of people on this site like Undercover. Let shope you get more responses.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

I always only have 1 day at a park, and manage okay. I like to pick 6 things I want to do most and do them first. Then usually I have time for more, and sometimes I don't... Which means I'll have to go back another year...!

Animal Kingdom, if you aren't doing shows, will be much more manageable in one day. Do walk through the treks, even if they aren't 'rides' and I know it's a show but think you'll all love the Flights of Wonder bird show at AK.

I think it will be tricky fitting in the beach and the KSC - I spent 6 hours+ at the Space Center, but you must be able to skip a few things and do it in less...?

Happy Planning!

8. Re: 1 week Orlando Fun - family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:19