We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

I spent a lot of time trying to find real life experience reports on the effects the new FastPass + system on both Legacy FastPasses and Stand-By waits so I thought I'd share what I encounter.

I had planned to sleep in after last night's Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party but was wide awake before six and decided to give the morning Extra Magic Hour at Disney's Animal Kingdom a try. I had no FastPass + scheduled for this morning.

The park opened 10 minutes or so early. My first stop was Kilimanjaro Safaris and it was a walk on. I like the first safaris because the animals are usually still frisky from being newly released from their pens. The antelope, zebra, lions and giraffe were all very active this morning :-)

Next I swang by Expedition Everest and picked up a Legacy FastPass using my Annual Pass. It had a return time of 9:15-10:15 AM. The stated wait was only 10 minutes but I wasn't quite ready for a coaster.

My next stop was Dinosaur! in Dinoland. This had a 10 minute wait listed but it was really much closer to 5.

I was back at Everest at 10:00 AM, still only 15 minutes for Stand-By but I walked on with my FastPass. FastPasses were being issued with a return time of 10:45-11:45

Last stop was the 10:30 showing of Festival of the Lion King. I wasn't the last person to get seated but it was close. I think a large party would have been turned away.

At 11:00 the wait board read:

Dinosaur 20 (minutes)

Expedition Everest 20

Kilimanjaro Safaris 40

(Kali River Rapids was closed while I was there)

So, unlike Toy Story yesterday, FastPass + didn't seem to have much of an impact on the availability of Legacy FastPasses at the Animal Kingdom. It felt like a typical early December morning EMH day at Animal Kingdom to me-at least for the first three hours. Festival of the Lion King was the only attraction I visited that felt truly busy

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

Haha "I'm not ready for a roller coaster but let's go on the jerkiest ride at Disney world". ;)

I've seen some "frisky" animals at Animal Kingdom! including the Gorillas, and, Impressively, the giant tortoises!!!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

Loving your trip reports, Jennifer!!!

Sounds like the available of legacy fast passes are depending on park crowd levels and specific park rides. This is good to know.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

Thank you JSMLA - are legacy fast passes only available to annual pass holders?

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

I'm not sure why it needed a name other than "regular FASTPASS" but "legacy" is the term now popping up for the "old" system.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

Thanks Orlando

6. Re: Morning Extra Magic Hours at the Animal Kingdom (No FP +)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:19