We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney parking

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disney parking

My family and I are visiting Disney World during the Christmas break. We will not be staying in a Disney resort but rather, closer to Universal Studios at a Holiday Inn Express. This being said, we are renting a car and wish to visit some of the Disney resorts (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, etc.) as we heard they are all decked out for the holidays. My question is the following: can we park at DTD and use the Disney hotel shuttles to get to the resorts? Will they allow us eventhough we are not Disney Resort guests? Do they check (some kind of bracelet or pass)? If not, can we park at hotels and if so, will we need to pay for parking at each one?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney parking

Anyone can use the transport and visit the resorts

Although if you park up at DTD, depending on how many resorts you want to see it might take a while on Disney transportation to get around

As it's a busy time of year I would imagine buses will be pretty packed and parking might be tight at resorts I think you are limited to 3hrs parking at resorts

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney parking

Yes, you are limited to 3 hours parking at any Disney resort, so if you want to visit several of them and drive directly to them, be sure to move the car from resort to resort. They will ask for a photo i.d. at each location, but unless their lot is already full, they should allow you to visit. I would choose to go during day hours to have a better shot of parking; evenings can get pretty crowded, especially at the ones near the theme parks.

If you choose to park at DTD and take the busses from there, remember that some resort can be connected via monorails and boats as well.

For instance, take a bus from DTD to either the Contemporary, the Polynesian, or the Grand Floridian, and then you can visit the other three via monorail connect.

From the Contemporary, you can take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge and then on to Ft. Wilderness if you like.

From DTD, you can take a boat to either of the Port Orleans resort (French Quarter or Riverside), or you can take a boat to Old Key West resort, or you can take a boat or walk over to Saratoga Springs.

From DTD, you can take a bus to either the Boardwalk resort or the Yacht and Beach Club resorts, then connect to the other one either by boat or a short walk.

From DTD, you can take a bus to either Art of Animation or Pop Century, then take a short walk over the lake to the other resort.

From DTD, you can take a bus to any of the All-Star resorts, then walk to the other All-Star locations just up/down the road. One bus usually serves all three of these resorts.

I've had lots of fun making a "circuit tour" of resorts in the past utilizing all three forms of Disney transport and if you plot it out correctly, you can really get around and see a lot.

Here's a webpage that can help you with the logistics:

www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx

Just remember, you cannot take any busses directly from resort to resort unless they are considered "sister resorts" like All-Stars or Port Orleans, nor can you take a bus directly from DTD to any of the theme parks.

However as I stated above, there are instances where boats can be used to get from resort to resort if they are nearby one to another, and of course, the resort monorail line runs between the three Magic Kingdom resorts: Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian.

\

Edited: 05 December 2013, 20:01
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney parking

Thank you Kat and Suzie. Your comments are much appreciated! Only 7 days to go before leaving for our Disney vacation. Can't wait!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,976 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney parking

Have an absolutely fantastic time and a very merry Christmas

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney parking

And to you and yours as well! All the best for the New Year!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney parking

Are you all saying that DownTown Disney is free to Park at all day?

am i best to park here and get a bus to the parks and save on the parking costs?

Cheers

Lee

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney parking

No, that's not best. There aren't buses from Downtown Disney directly to the parks. If you want to go to the parks, budget for and pay the parking fee so you can park where you are actually going.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney parking

The thing is Disney is vast and the monorail only covers two parks and a few hotels, personally I would drive direct to a resort rather than faf around parking at Downtown Disney and then trying to get to a resort via bus or other means, you will save time and then it is easier to go onto another resort as you have the car.

Although the following link is mainly for UK travellers the notes include many tips that apply to Disney parks:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1954828-i20534-…

Have a great holiday.

Macl1uk

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney parking

LeeKeene as 1031 said budget your parking fees and pay at the parks. Unless of course you have 3 or 4 hours to spare getting to and from DTD. You would have to park up at DTD (easier said than done with the current situation there) walk to the bus station wait for a resort bus (which don't start running until around 10am) go to said resort get off and wait for a park bus. All to save $15 not worth it IMO.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney parking

thats ok i had budgeted for them but had what i thought was a brain wave lol

clearly not!