We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater London...
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Hi people

Off to Orlando and Avis are doing quite a good deal on a hire car ,

Can you tell me if the insurance included in the package is sufficient, below is what is included can you let me know your thoughts please

Your rental price INCLUDES - Unlimited mileage, CUSTOMER FACILITY FEE, STATE SURCHARGE, TIRE & BATTERY FEE, VEH. LICENSE FEE, Additional Liability Insurance (ALI), Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

Salford UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

If you haven't booked the car yet I would try Alamo Brits. I am looking to rent a 7 seater in April and Alamo Brits is the cheapest by a long way at the moment.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Hi

We have not booked yet but this is part of a BA package that we are looking at booking

The cost is 3xBA direct flights from Gatwick in February and a group f car for 16 days

Total price £2072.00

Seems quite a good price

Please let me know your thoughts

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

I booked a 7 seater for May , £380 for 2 weeks

Edited: 07 December 2013, 11:30
Salford UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

I am currently being quoted £343 on Alamo brits which includes 3 extra drivers and fully inc insurance for a 7 seater. perhaps you could look at Alamo's fully inc insurance and see how it compares with yours?

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

I think it is a good idea to compare it with the Alamo insurance to make sure you have everything you need. We always take their Gold Package which includes additional drivers and a full tank of petrol.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

I have tried doing it separately

Booking BA flights through there website

Then booking Alamo for Brits directly

And it is coming out more expensive booking them separately rather than the BA package

My only concern was is the insurance offered by Avis as below sufficient ?

Your rental price INCLUDES - Unlimited mileage, CUSTOMER FACILITY FEE, STATE SURCHARGE, TIRE & BATTERY FEE, VEH. LICENSE FEE, Additional Liability Insurance (ALI), Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Insurance levels are a tricky thing. But i think if you look at the level of almo brits and the platinum insurance of say virgin it is almost the same. To the point where I changed from virgin platinum car hire to alamo brits. 3 weeks 7 seater march for £512. So it just a case of opening up 3 or 4 tabs and comparing each 1. But piece of mind is a great thing to have when abroad.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Hi

Thanks for your advice about the tabs.

And they are all the same apart from the Alamo gold which gives you a full tank of fuel and allows you to bring it back empty and also three extra drivers which we don't need,

So it looks likely we will go with the BA package and book our villa privately :-)

Many thanks

66 days and counting

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

We always get the extra drivers as one year DH injured himself and could not drive. I was therefore able to take over the driving.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire car insurance is this enough ???

Salfordjoe, just looked at a 7 seater , £343 for two weeks in May that's £37 saving